Karpinia completes inaugural Academy of Research Excellence course

In November 2012, Katherine Karpinia, D.M.D., M.S., an associate professor in the Department of Periodontics, completed the University of Florida Clinical and Translational Science Institute (C.T.S.I.) Academy of Research Excellence Course, Excellence in Human Subject Research and Protections.

Karpinia was a member of the inaugural class for this course.

“The Academy of Research Excellence course far exceeded my expectations,” she said. “I really enjoyed the friendships and collaborative relationships forged with other faculty participants, as well as the outstanding and experienced facilitators. I highly recommend this program.”

This is a certification program that includes advanced, collegial, intensive, interactive lectures, seminars and a skill-building program oriented towards practical and difficult issues that arise in conducting clinical research.  It is designed for investigators who desire development of expertise and excellence in research integrity, ethics, professionalism and regulatory requirements.  Her successful completion of this program entitles her to membership in the Academy of Research Excellence; program graduates will have a role in the university’s future C.T.S.I. research endeavors.

Karpinia also currently represents the College of Dentistry as a member of the University of Florida’s Institutional Review Board (I.R.B.) for the Gainesville Health Science Center.

Program enrollment is limited to 14 participants. Interested applicants can visit the CTSI website for the application and a program overview.  The second course begins in January 2013 and continues through July. Contact Ray Moseley, Ph.D., for more information at any questions (rmoseley@ufl.edu; 352-273-5153).