Special Study Programs
We have an increasing number of study opportunities for people who aren’t registered as students to work with the college in various ways.
- An educational experience that lasts one year and includes direct patient care. Internships are open to any dentist (U.S./International) with a dental degree; topics can be either general dentistry or dental specialties.
- Contact: The academic department sponsoring the internship and Continuing Education.
- An educational experience that lasts one year and includes direct patient care. Fellowships are open to any dentist with a dental degree (U.S./International) and specialty training. The topic is a special-interest area in your specialty.
- Contact: The academic department sponsoring the fellowship and Continuing Education.
- A custom-study program that lasts less than one month that may or may not include direct patient care. Mini-residencies are intended for dentists with a dental degree (U.S./International), topics could be either general dentistry or dental specialties.
- Contact: The sponsoring academic department (department is responsible for customizing program) and Continuing Education.
For dentists and others with terminal degrees
- An educational experience that lasts between one month and a year. No direct patient care is included in this experience. Preceptorships are intended for dentists with dental degrees and others who have earned a terminal degree (U.S./International). Topics can be either general dentistry, dental specialties or research topics.
- Contact: The academic department sponsoring the preceptorship (department is responsible for customizing program) and Continuing Education.
For Dental Students
- A one to two week (it can vary), customized educational experience for dental students currently enrolled and in good standing at U.S.-accredited colleges of dentistry or foreign schools with UFCD formal affiliation agreements. Direct patient care is not included in this experience.
- Contact: The academic department sponsoring the externship (department must coordinate externship with specialty program director) and Office of Education.
For those interested in dentistry
- An observational experience involving no direct patient care in the clinical settings sponsored by UFCD. Two options are available: a semester-long commitment through the Shands Volunteer Center or a short-term option through the Clinical Affairs Office.
- Contact: Shands Volunteer Center for semester-long program and for shorter experiences visit our Shadowing Experiences web page.
For DMD Graduates (of the UF College of Dentistry)
- DMD Remediation
- A custom-educational program of varying length that is open to UFCD graduates who have earned a DMD degree, but failed licensure exam in Florida; involves direct patient care.
- Contact: Office of Education and Continuing Education.
For Florida-licensed Dentists
- Board of Dentistry Mandated Remediation
- A custom-education program of varying length that is open to Florida-licensed dentists who require BOD mandated remediation; this program may involve direct patient care.
- Contact: Continuing Education.
The University of Florida is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider and a member of the Association for Continuing Dental Education.