IT Profile: Joshua Ney

Joshua NeyJoshua grew up in Northern Virginia and moved to Florida while he was in high school. He came to Gainesville 14 years ago to attend UF and play music (mostly the latter). He’s been playing music for 16 years, starting with the guitar but more recently he switched to drums.

In 1998 Josh earned his bachelor’s in History from UF and worked at the Alachua County Library for a few years before returning to school to earn his masters in Education in 2003. Since then he’s been with the college, initially working on the Quick Recovery rollout. He realized he liked the IT field and working at our college, stayed on and was promoted to Help Desk Manager in 2003.

Josh has played in a variety of bands including one well-known in indie circles – The Brittle Stars. The Brittle Stars have released one album, are big in Japan and have been asked to play in Peru and Mexico recently but their singer is currently living in Israel and they’re not playing shows until she moves back to the states.

Josh is also preparing to record an album in New York City with Nervous Systems, his other band.

Ten years ago he flirted with the girl who made him burritos at Burrito Brothers; they were married in 2001. He’s the captain of a soccer team that he and Steve Kostewicz play for and he claims that Steve scores more goals than him and Steve’s their keeper!

What is your favorite way to spend your time?
Playing sports or exercising with friends.

What is your principle defect?
Im a vegetarian.

What is your favorite occupation?
Teacher; I completed a masters in education.

What would you like to be?
A better person.

Where would you like to live?
Portland, Oregon. My family would kill me if I moved that far away from them though.

Who are your favorite writers?
Kurt Vonnegut, Luc Sante, Ralph Ellison, James Loewen

Who are your favorite composers?
Stephen Patrick Morrissey and Johnny Marr.

Who are your heroes in real life?
My wife, shes a great teacher and she puts up with me!

What is it you most dislike?
People who think they are without faults.

What is your greatest fear?
Heights.

What historical figure do you most identify with?
Groucho Marx.

Which living person do you most admire?
Jon Stewart

What is your favorite journey?
I backpacked around Europe for two months after I graduated from college.