Dental residents provide a complete range of dental and oral health services for adults and children under faculty supervision.
St. Petersburg Dental Center Mission
Our 12-month certificate program is designed to provide advanced clinical and didactic training in all disciplines of general dentistry beyond the training received in dental school.
Patient treatment is frequently complex and challenging, with multiple opportunities for experience in dental implants, periodontal surgery, advanced prosthetics, oral surgery, and orthodontics. The faculty, which includes specialists from dental disciplines and general dentists, provide continuous coverage in the clinic. They also dedicate their time after hours to offer advice and guidance through seminars aimed at preparing the residents to face their first step after the program.
Seminars, literature reviews, case presentations, and treatment planning seminars are all part of the educational program. We are technologically capable to interact live with the other UFCD facilities. Via distance learning, students can take courses live from Gainesville throughout the year. All of the UFCD AEGD programs can engage actively in treatment planning sessions. Practice management is an integral part of the program. Adults and children requiring hospitalization for their dental care receive treatment from St. Petersburg residents in local hospitals.
Seminars, literature reviews, case presentations, and treatment planning seminars are all part of the educational program. We are technologically capable to interact live with the other UFCD facilities. Via distance learning, students can take courses live from Gainesville throughout the year. All of the UFCD AEGD programs can engage actively in treatment planning sessions. Practice management is an integral part of the program.
In addition, the residents in the program have the opportunity to interact with the faculty of The Dawson Academy. Residents are invited to attend Seminars I and II on The Concept of Complete Dentistry. Faculty from the center present lectures and hands-on workshops to our residents.
Our facility also hosts numerous continuing education courses, in which our residents participate.
The Advanced Education in Dentistry (AEGD) program located at the St. Petersburg Dental Clinic is fully accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
At the completion of the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Program, the resident will be able to:
- Act as a primary care provider for individuals and groups of patients. This includes providing emergency and multidisciplinary comprehensive oral health care, providing patient focused care that is coordinated by the General practitioner, directing health promotion and disease prevention activities, and using advanced dental treatment modalities.
- Be competent to fully evaluate the systemic and oral health of a wide variety of patients, including those with special needs, and to plan and provide multidisciplinary oral health care based upon a well-planned and sequenced treatment plan.
- Manage the delivery of oral health care by applying concepts of patients and practice management and quality improvement that are responsive to a dynamic health care environment.
- The resident will be competent to take complete responsibility for the patient’s comprehensive dental needs and coordinate treatment when other medical or dental health-care providers are involved by functioning effectively in multiple health care environments within the interdisciplinary health care team.
- The resident will be competent to apply scientific principles to learning and oral healthcare. This includes critical thinking, evidence or outcomes-based clinical decision making and technology-based information retrieval systems.
- The resident will be competent to enter the dental profession, having a sound appreciation of dental professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient centered care, adaptability, and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice, needs of the community, and the importance of community service.
- Understand the oral health needs of communities and engage in community service.
The AEGD Program offers opportunities in:
- Advanced prosthetics
- Dental implants
- Cosmetic dentistry
- Oral surgery
- Pediatric dentistry