Scott Tomar, D.M.D., M.P.H.
- BA, Temple U., 1980
- DMD, Temple U., 1984
- MPH, Columbia U., 1989
- Specialty Certificate in Dental Public Health, U Michigan, 1991
- DrPH, U. Michigan, 1993
As a public health dentist and oral epidemiologist, my research interests involve the understanding and control of modifiable risk factors for disease in populations. One primary area of interest is tobacco use and its effects on oral health. My research in this area has included tobacco-associated oral diseases, the epidemiology of tobacco use, and improving the outcomes for people with oral cancer — a disease largely associated with tobacco use. Much of my recent work involves public health surveillance for oral diseases and conditions and increasing access to prevention services in vulnerable communities. I’ve had the privilege of serving the profession and public in a number of capacities. I currently serve as Chair-elect of the Oral Health Section of the American Public Health Association, the world’s largest public health organization. I also serve as founding Chair of the Alachua County Oral Health Coalition and Vice Chair of Oral Health Florida, the state’s oral health coalition. I am currently the Editor of the Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice and a former Editor of the Journal of Public Health Dentistry. I serve as a consultant for a number of agencies and organizations, including the Food and Drug Administration and the American Dental Association
- Herndon JB, Tomar SL, Catalanotto FA, Vogel B, Shenkman E. The effect of Medicaid primary care provider reimbursement on access to early childhood caries preventive services. Health Services Res 2014; Article first published online: 8 JUL 2014 DOI: 10.1111/1475-6773.12200. PMID: 25039907
- Metsch LR, Pereyra M, Messinger S, Jeanty Y, Parish C, Valverde E, Cardenas G, Boza H, Tomar S. Effects of a brief case management intervention linking people with HIV to oral health care: Project SMILE. Am J Public Health 2015;105(1):77-84. PMID: 24832421
- Tomar SL. Chapter 13. Evidence-based approaches to screening for oral and pharyngeal cancer. In: Frantsve-Hawley J, editor. Evidence-based dentistry for the dental hygienist. Chicago: Quintessence Books; 2014:255-74.
- Herndon J, Crall J, Aravamudhan K, Catalanotto F, Huang I-C, Rudner N, Tomar SL, Shenkman E. Developing and testing pediatric oral health care quality measures. J Public Health Dent 2015 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25684132
- Herndon JB, Tomar SL, Catalanotto FA. Effect of training pediatricians and family physicians in early childhood caries prevention. J Pediatr 2015 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25662286
- Barnett TE, Soule EK, Forrest JR, Porter L, Tomar SL. Adolescent Electronic Cigarette Use: Associations with Conventional Cigarette and Hookah Smoking. Am J Prev Med [in press