Department of Restorative Dental Sciences
Phone: 352-273-5850 (department)
- Diplomate, American Board of Prosthodontics, 1984
- Re-certification in 2004, 2013, and 2020
- Certificate, Residency in Prosthodontics, UCLA Center for the Health Sciences, 1983
- D.D.S., University of Maryland, 1979
- B.A., General Studies, State University of New York College at Oneonta, 1975
Dr. Nimmo is a professor emeritus in the Division of Prosthodontics in the Department of Restorative Dental Sciences at the University of Florida College of Dentistry. He was the director of the UFCD predoctoral implant dentistry program from 2008 until his retirement in 2022. Dr. Nimmo previously served as chair of the UFCD Department of Prosthodontics from 1999 to 2005 and from 2010 to 2011. Dr. Nimmo received his DDS degree from the University of Maryland in 1979 and completed specialty training in prosthodontics at the UCLA Center for the Health Sciences in 1983. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontics and a Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontists.
Dr. Nimmo served as a consultant from 1995 to 2006 to the American Dental Association for the National Board Examination Part II for the Prosthodontics Test Construction Committee and Consultant Review Committee. He was the Commissioner representing the specialty of prosthodontics on the ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) from 2001 to 2005.
Dr. Nimmo served as President of the American College of Prosthodontists from 1999 to 2000. Dr. Nimmo was elected to serve a seven-year term as an examining member and director on the American Board of Prosthodontics in 2010, served as President from 2016 to 2017, and as Chief Professional Officer for 2018. Recently, he completed a three-year term on the CODA Review Committee on Prosthodontics Education.
- ACP Distinguished Service Award – October 2005 – American College of Prosthodontists Annual Session, Los Angeles
- Alumni of Distinction honor from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Oneonta in September 2015.
- University Term Professor award from the University of Florida which recognizes faculty who have a distinguished career that places them among the leaders in their discipline, in October 2018. This is a 3 year award, extending from 2019 through 2021.
- Sustained Exemplary Teaching award from the UF College of Dentistry, in April 2019.
- Stefos S, Zoidis P, Nimmo A. Managing gag reflex during removable partial denture treatment: a review and a clinical report. J Prosthodont 2019;28:618-622
- El Kerdani T, Nimmo A. Integrating conventional and CAD/CAM digital techniques for establishing canine protected articulation: A clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 2016;115:515-9
- Fernandez MA, Nimmo A, Behar-Horenstein LS. Digital denture fabrication in pre- and post-doctoral education: A survey of U.S. dental schools. J Prosthodont 2016;25:83-90
- El-Kerdani T, Nimmo A. A single visit direct technique to provisionally restore occlusion for a full-mouth rehabilitation: a clinical report. J Prosthodont 2016;25:66-70
- Echeto LF, Sposetti V, Childs G, Aguilar ML, Behar-Horenstein LS, Rueda L, Nimmo A. Evaluation of team-based learning and traditional instruction in teaching removable partial denture concepts. J Dent Educ 2015;79:1040-8
- El-Kerdani T, Nimmo A. A conservative approach to rebasing an implant-retained fixed complete denture. J Prosthet Dent 2014;112:672-675
- Fernandez MA, Paez de Mendoza CY, Platt JA, Levon JA, Hovijitra ST, Nimmo A. A comparative study of the accuracy between plastic and metal impression transfer copings for implant restorations. J Prosthodont 2013;22:367-376
- Nimmo SS, Nimmo A. Stabilized record base for implant treatment. J Prosthodont 2010;19:566-568
- Koutrach M, Nimmo A. Preservation of existing soft-tissue contours in the transition from a tooth to an implant restoration in the esthetic zone using a flapless approach: A clinical report. J Prosthodont 2010;19:391-396
- Nimmo A, Mitchell GS, Echeto L, Ojha AK. Effect of dental students as instructors on preclinical performance in prosthodontics. J Dent Educ 2008;72:1488-1492
- Malhaagh-Fard A, Nimmo A, Lepczyk J. Eleven-year report on a predoctoral implant dentistry program. J Prosthodont, 2008;17:64-68
- Nimmo A, Mitchell GS, Penfield RD, Hall A. Evaluation of dental students as instructors in preclinical prosthodontics and occlusion courses. J Prosthodont 2008;16:400-405
- Tupac RG, Gillis RE, Guichet GN, Jones RE, Marchack C, McGarry TJ, Nimmo A, Shipman B, Simon H, Smith C. Parameters of care for the specialty of prosthodontics. J Prosthodont 2005;14:2-103
- McGarry TJ, Nimmo A, Skiba JF, Ahlstrom RH, Smith CR, Koumjian JH,Guichet G. Classification system for the completely dentate patient. J Prosthodont 2004;13:73-82
- Malhaagh-Fard A, Nimmo A, Lepczyk J, Pink FE. Implant dentistry in predoctoral education: The elective approach. J Prosthodont 2002; 11:202-207
- McGarry TJ, Nimmo A, Skiba JF, Ahlstrom RH, Smith CR, Koumjian JH, Arbree NS. Classification system for partial edentulism. J Prosthodont 2002;11:181-193
- McGarry TJ, Nimmo A, Skiba JF, Ahlstrom RH, Smith CR, Koumjian JH. Classification system for complete edentulism. J Prosthodont 1999;8:27-39
- Nimmo A, Taylor TD. Survey of educationally qualified and board eligible prosthodontists on the board certification process. J Prosthodont 1998;7:180-186.
- Nimmo A, Woolsey GD, Arbree NS, Saporito RA, Cooney JP. Defining predoctoral prosthodontic curriculum: A workshop sponsored by the American College of Prosthodontists and the Prosthodontic Forum. J Prosthodont 1998;7:30-34.
- Maxson BB, Nimmo A. Quality assurance for the laboratory aspects of prosthodontic treatment. J Prosthodont 1997;6:204-209.
- Diaz-Arnold AM, Langenwalter EM, Andres CJ, Lloyd PM, Nimmo A, Cronin RJ Jr. The Institute of Medicine Study of Dental Education: Issues affecting prosthodontics. J Prosthodont 1996;5:133-141.
- Nimmo A, Knight GW. Patient-centered competency-based education in fixed prosthodontics. J Prosthodont 1996;5:122-128.