Department of Periodontology
- Ph.D., Biotechnology, Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India, 2017 (Highly Commended)
- M.Phil., Biotechnology, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, India, 2011
- M. Sc., Biotechnology (2009); Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India, 2009 (University 3rd Rank).
- Association between Periodontal bacteria and Alzhiemer’s disease
- Oral microbiome and non-communicable diseases
- miRNA as biomarkers in Periodontal disease
- Microbial Metagenomics through function and sequence driven approach
- Microbial Metaproteomics through advanced omics techniques
- Aravindraja C, Kashef M.R, Vekariya K.M, Ghanta R.K, Karanth S, Chan E.K.L and Kesavalu L (2022). Global noncoding microRNA profiling in mice infected with partial human mouth microbes (PAHMM) using an ecological time-sequential polybacterial periodontal infection (ETSPPI) model reveals sex-specific differential microRNA expression. International Journal of Molecular Biosciences 23, 5107. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms23095107 (Impact factor: 6.208).
- Aravindraja C, Sakthivel R, Liu X, Goodwin M, Veena P, Godovikova V, Fenno J.C, Levites Y, Golde T.E and Kesavalu L (2022). Intracerebral but not peripheral infection of live Porphyromonas gingivalis exacerbates Alzheimer’s disease like amyloid pathology in APP-TgCRND8 mice. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 23, 3328. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms23063328 (Impact factor: 6.208).
- Aravindraja C, Viszwapriya D, Valliammai A and Pandian SK (2022). Community-based 16S rDNA fingerprinting analysis of geographically distinct marine sediments of unexplored coastal regions of Palk Bay and Gulf of Mannar. Current Microbiology (Springer Nature) 79, 60 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-021-02692-6 (Impact factor: 343)
- Camargo SEA, Xia X, Fares C, Ren F, Hsu S-M, Budei D, Aravindraja C, Kesavalu L, Esquivel-Upshaw J.F (2021). Nanostructured surfaces to promote osteoblast proliferation and minimize bacterial adhesion on Titanium. Materials 14, 4357. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma14164357 (Impact factor: 748).
- Rajeev M., Sushmitha T. J., Aravindraja C., Toleti S. R., & Pandian S. K. (2021). Thermal discharge-induced seawater warming alters richness, community composition and interactions of bacterioplankton assemblages in a coastal ecosystem. Scientific Reports 11, 17341 (Impact Factor: 996)
- Valliammai A, Selvaraj A, Mathumitha P, Aravindraja C & Pandian SK (2021). Polymeric antibiofilm coating comprising synergistic combination of citral and thymol prevents methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus biofilm formation on titanium. Materials Science and Engineering: C 121, 111863. PubMed PMID: 33579493 (Impact Factor: 457).
- Rajeev M, Sushmitha TJ, Aravindraja C, Toleti SR., & Pandian SK. (2021). Exploring the impacts of heavy metals on spatial variations of sediment-associated bacterial communities. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 209:111808. PubMed PMID: 33360289 (Impact Factor: 129)
- Valliammai A, Selvaraj A, Yuvashree U, Aravindraja C & Pandian SK (2020). sarA-dependent antibiofilm activity of thymol enhances the antibacterial efficacy of rifampicin against Staphylococcus aureus. Frontiers in Microbiology 11:1744. (Impact Factor: 5.640).
- Valliammai A, Sethupathy S, Ananthi S, Priya A, Selvaraj A, Nivetha V, Aravindraja C, Mahalingam S & Pandian SK. (2020). Proteomic profiling unveils citral modulating expression of IsaA, CodY and SaeS to inhibit biofilm and virulence in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 158, 208-221. (Impact Factor: 6.953).
- Sivaranjani M, Leskinen K, Aravindraja C, Saavalainen P, Pandian SK, Skurnik M and Ravi AV (2019). Deciphering the antibacterial mode of action of alpha-mangostin on Staphylococcus epidermidis RP62A through an integrated transcriptomic and proteomic approach. Frontiers in Microbiology 10:150 (Impact Factor: 4.236)
- Sivaranjani M, Srinivasan R, Aravindraja C, Pandian SK, Ravi AV (2018). Inhibitory effect of α-mangostin on Acinetobacter baumannii biofilms – an in vitro Biofouling 34: 579-593 [Taylor & Francis] (Impact Factor: 2.847).
- Aravindraja C, Valliammai A, Viszwapriya D, Pandian SK (2017) Quorum sensing mediated virulence inhibition of an opportunistic human pathogen Serratia marcescens from unexplored marine sediment of Palk Bay through function driven metagenomic approach. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 55: 448-452. (Impact factor: 1.475)
- Viszwapriya D, Aravindraja C, Pandian SK (2015) Comparative assessment of bacterial diversity associated with co-occurring eukaryotic hosts of Palk Bay origin. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 53: 417-423. (Impact factor: 1.165)
- Aravindraja C, Viszwapriya D, Pandian SK (2013) Ultradeep 16S rRNA Sequencing Analysis of Geographically Similar but Diverse Unexplored Marine Samples Reveal Varied Bacterial Community Composition. PLOS ONE 8(10): e76724. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076724 (Impact factor: 3.534)
- Vinothini G, Aravindraja C, Chitrathara K, Nagini S (2011) Correlation of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors with hypoxia and angiogenesis in premenopausal patients with adenocarcinoma of the breast. Clinical Biochemistry 44: 969-974 (Impact factor: 2.076).
- Nithya C, Aravindraja C, Pandian SK (2010) Bacillus pumilus of Palk Bay origin inhibits quorum-sensing-mediated virulence factors in Gram-negative bacteria. Research in Microbiology 161: 293-304 (Impact factor: 2.405).
September 01, 2009 to August 31, 2010 – Project Assistant in DST sponsored project in Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, India.
November 01, 2010 to April 30, 2011 – Junior Research Fellow in INDO- EU DBT project in Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, India.
June 16, 2011 to October 31, 2013 – Junior Research Fellow in DBT Metagenomics project in Department of Biotechnology, Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India.
November 01, 2013 to June 30, 2014 –Junior Research Fellow in AU-ITC Collaborative project in Department of Biotechnology, Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India.
October 01, 2014 to June 30, 2017– CSIR – Senior Research Fellow funded by Government of India.
December 15, 2017 to November 30, 2019 – Postdoctoral Associate, NIH R21 Funded Project, University of Florida. Studied the casual association of periodontal bacteria and Alzheimer’s Disease through both oral and intracerebral infection in APP-TgCRND8 mouse model
December 01, 2019 to till now – Postdoctoral Associate, NIH-NIDCR Funded Project, University of Florida. Successfully completed two years of work that explored the differential expression of miRNA between male and female C57BL/J mice using Nanostring nCounter miRNA assay panels. One manuscript is under preparation with the outcome of this study. Currently, working on the time sequential mono bacterial infection in C57BL/J mice to study the differential expression of miRNAs in middle and late infections.
Academic merits and awards
- Received “Award for Excellence in Research” for the poster entitled “Predominant periodontal bacteria augments Ischmemic Stroke outcomes” during Spring Synergy 2018, March 30, 2018.
- Received “Award for Excellence in Research” for the poster entitled “Oral bacteria Porphyromonas gingivalis accelerating Amyloid-β plaques and neuropathological markers in APP-TgCRND8 mice model of Alzheimer’s Disease” during Spring Synergy 2019, March 27, 2019. (First Prize)
- Received “Award for Excellence in Research” for the poster entitled “Bilateral intracerebral infection of Porphyromonas gingivalis augmented amyloid seeding and induced microgliosis in APP-TgCRND8 mice model of Alzheimer’s Disease” during Spring Synergy 2020, March 27, 2020. (Second Prize).
- Class Topper in SSLC (94 %) and HSC (92.8 %).
- Received prestigious Senior Research Fellowship Award from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Human Resource Development Group, Government of India for the period 01.10.2014 to 30.06.2017.
- Cleared National Level GATE 2009 and secured 83 percentile.
- Qualified State Eligibility Test for Lectureship (SET) in Life Sciences – 2012 conducted by Nodal Centre for SET in Tamil Nadu as per the guidelines formulated by University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
- University Third Rank Holder in M. Sc (Biotechnology) (2007-2009).
- Recipient of prestigious Summer Trainee under “Summer Training Programme – 2008”- Sponsored by the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) Hyderabad, India during May-July 2008.
- Recipient of prestigious Student’s Summer Research Fellowship-2005– Sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, India during May-June 2005
- Received the prestigious “Maruthupandian Endowment Scholarship” for having secured highest mark in B. Sc (Biotechnology) (2004-2005).
Membership in professional bodies
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/American Association for Dental Research (AADR); Member ID:901203
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM); Member # 200260684
- Life Member (LM1679): The Biotech Research Society, India
- Association of Scientists of India Origin in America, Inc. (ASIOA)