Congratulations to the members of the Dentistry Outreach Program, in the UF Department of Community Dentistry and Behavioral Science, for earning an honorable mention for the Community Champion Award from the American Institute of Dental Public Health, or AIDPH.
This award recognizes outstanding commitment and efforts in prioritizing the voices of marginalized, underserved, oppressed, and historically excluded communities in pursuit of whole-person healthcare within the field of oral health.
“The outreach program’s collaborative and innovative approach to promoting preventive oral health care access and education to the families of Collier County stood out to the selection committee as deserving of commendation,” said Tamanna Tiwari, B.D.S., M.D.S., M.P.H., the chair of the AIDPH board.
The Dentistry Outreach Team serves pediatric patients and their families in the Collier County area who have challenges with access to oral health care. The team works from the NCEF Pediatric Dental Center in Naples, which is also home to the UF College of Dentistry pediatric dental care center and a pediatric dental residency program.
The award will be presented during the AIDPH Annual Colloquium in March in Chicago, Illinois.
Dental Outreach Team Members
- Andres Bedoya, Administrative Assistant
- Maria Davila, Ph.D., Certified Community Health Educator
- Yohana Hernandez, Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Adriana Gaviria, Certified Registered Dental Hygienist
- Susan Gorman, Certified Registered Dental Hygienist, Clinical Program Coordinator
- Ricardo Mendoza, Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Johanna Najera, Certified Registered Dental Hygienist
- Yuni Diaz Prats, Certified Registered Dental Hygienist