The Dental Practice-Based Research Network’s, or DPBRN, South Atlantic Region, part of the University of Florida College of Dentistry, hosted a symposium/workshop during the 2018 American Association of Dental Research, or AADR, in March. The symposium was led by Valeria Gordan, D.D.S., M.S., and Joseph Riley III, Ph.D., both faculty members in the UF College of Dentistry.
Advancing Research to Integrate Medical and Dental Care celebrated the launch of NIDCR 2030 goals and featured several speakers:
- Martha Somerman, D.D.S., Ph.D., director of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research.
- Gregg Gilbert, D.D.S., M.B.A., national director of the DPBRN.
- Gypsyamber D’Souza, M.S., Ph.D., discussed human papilloma virus, or HPV, and it’s risk factors and epidemiology.
- Brad Rindal, D.D.S., regional director of the Midwest Region of the DPBRN, reported the results of a network study on HPV.
- Betsy Shenkman, Ph.D., co-director of UF Clinical and Translational Science Institute, discussed the network results on the management of health risk assessment in dental offices.
The three-hour program included multiple presentations, round table discussions, and a panel discussion. More than 200 people from all six regions of the national DPBRN attended the program; attendees included researchers, dentists, academicians, physicians, nurses, hygienists, patients, National Institutes of Health staff, research coordinators, students, college deans and associate deans, industry and dental insurance representatives, veteran’s affairs staff, clinicians from large group practices and from solo practices, as well those from public health and federal qualified health centers, international attendees, and American Dental Association representatives. With the diversity of the various stakeholders participating, the round-table discussion sessions after the presentations were engaging, lively and informative. Several members of UFCD facilitated the discussions serving as table leaders: Alex Delgado, D.D.S., M.S., Patricia Pereira, D.D.S., Ph.D., Cesar Migliorati, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D., and Wagner Duarte, D.D.S., Ph.D.
The interactive meeting, with participation from a diverse group of individuals and highlighting the results of existing studies in the network, was an excellent example of the NIDCR commitment to improving health care and the launch of one of the five NIDCR 2030 goals: “Integrating medical and dental care.”
For more information about the DPBRN, please visit their site.