The University of Florida College of Dentistry hosted its annual Super Sealant Saturday fundraiser Acid Etch on March 28. While Super Sealant Saturday, set for April 8, benefited from the baking competition and talent show Tuesday evening, an auditorium full of faculty, staff, friends, family, colleagues and classmates benefited from the high-quality entertainment provided by nine special performances as part of the show.
On behalf of the UFCD Dental Ambassadors, students Greta Smidt & Lauren Weir organized the 10th annual performance of Acid Etch. The show brought in $1,100.00 to help offset the cost of Super Sealant Saturday.
“We throw Acid Etch in order to raise funds for Super Sealant Saturday,” Smidt explained. “While the sealants and all of Super Sealant Saturday is free to the children of Alachua County, it is a UFCD student-run program that does cost money for the school on the back end. The talent show is a fun way to get the students and faculty out to help offset those costs.”
Hosted by “The Patels” this year, and judged by Dr. Marc Ottenga, D.D.S., the beloved Lorie Primosch, M.Ed., and Dr. Neel Bhattacharyya, D.M.D., Ph.D., the night provided non-stop quips, raffle prizes, laughs and entertainment.
“Acid Etch doesn’t only serve as a fundraiser for Super Sealant Saturday either,” Smidt said. “It serves as a way to make our dental community a lot more tightly knit. We get to feature some of our students who have hidden talents, which are not just confined to psychomotor skills in the sim lab. It’s always a really fun event every year. We’ll be back next March, so everyone get ready!”
ACID ETCH FINALISTS
- 1st Place: Monica Iskander & Andrew Fagin, “Rise”
- 2nd Place: The Impressionists | Fitz J. Brooks & Claire Sayoc, Shaina Henriquez, Irene Bevan, Abby Gruspe, Gabrielle Klatt, Tommy Kwak, “EVOLUTION: D1234”
- 3rd Place: Mark Coons, “I am the Highway”
ACID ETCH PERFORMANCES
- Live Painting, Oleum on Canvas
- “Stars Fell on Alabama”
- “I am the Highway”
- Jenna Shuman, Sara Rifai & Natalie Acevedo
- Hip Hop/Zumba Dance
- Cello Suite No. 1 in G major BWV 1007
- Johann Sebastian Bach
- Choreographers: Fitz J. Brooks & Claire Sayoc
- Dancers: Shaina Henriquez, Irene Bevan, Abby Gruspe, Gabrielle Klatt, Tommy Kwak
- “EVOLUTION: D1234”