We are proud to welcome the newest Gator Dentists to the University of Florida College of Dentistry. Our D.M.D. Class of 2016 started three days of orientation on Aug. 20. The class is comprised of a diverse group of some of the best and brightest dental students in the nation.
By the numbers:
- Of the 1,531 applicants this year, 397 were interviewed and 83 were selected to join the college.
- The average age of the class is 24 and the women (47) outnumber the men (36).
- The average total GPA is 3.61 and the average total science GPA is 3.52.
- Thirteen members of the class have earned a master’s degree.
- The overwhelming majority (78) are Florida residents and the other five hail from Georgia, Oklahoma and Maryland.
But where were they born?
- A surprising number (31) are natives to Florida.
- Twenty-four of the students were born in 16 different states.
- Another 22 members were born in other countries – Albania, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Israel, India, Jamaica, Panama, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Viet Nam.
What’s your major?
- 30 Biology
- 12 Biomedical Sciences
- 8 Nutrition
- 4 Microbiology
- 4 Pre-Dental
- 3 Biochemistry
- 3 Chemistry
- 3 Molecular Biology
- 3 Psychology
- 2 Food and Nutrition
- Art History
- Business, Management, Marketing
- Dental Assisting/Assistant
- Dental Hygiene/Hygienist
- Educational Leadership
- Exercise Physiology
- Food Science
- Natural Sciences
- Religion/Religious Studies
Growing up dental
Sometimes people wonder, “What made you decide to become a dentist?” For 16 of our class, we have a pretty clear answer. They grew up in a dental-home with a parent who works as a dentist, dental hygienist or a dental laboratory technician.