TEAMS Faculty Profile: Dr. Rosalia Rey

Dr. Rosalia ReyDr. Rosalia Rey is serving as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Operative Dentistry at the Internationally Educated Dentists Program (IEDP). She earned her dental degree from the Colegio Odontologico Colombiano in Bogotá in 1982 and completed a two-year Orthodontic course for general practitioners in 1986 at the Institute for Graduate Dentists in New York.

Dr. Rey maintained a private practice for a number of years, focusing on Orthodontics and family care in Colombia. After completing the IEDP at the University of Florida, she practiced in Central Florida from 1998-2007. She now practices in Faculty Practice at the University of Florida College of Dentistry. In addition to teaching at UFCD, Dr. Rey has served as an Assistant Professor in the Prosthodontic Department at the Colegio Odontologico Colombiano.

Her professional interests include dental management of medically compromised patients, implant restorations and pediatric dentistry. Dr. Rey is a member of the ADA and AGD and she is involved in community service.

Where were you born?

Cartagena, Colombia.

What made you decide to go into dentistry or into your current field?

My parents were dentists, and ever since I was little I helped them in their practice and developed a passion for dentistry. My parents were great mentors.

When I went to dental school I was asked to be an assistant professor in Occlusion. As I taught occlusion I knew I wanted be involved in academia.

What career accomplishment are you most proud of?

It has been an honor for me to be part of the IEDP from both ends of the spectrum. Now I am very excited to be part of the new integrated comprehensive, clinical dental education model in the College of Dentistry. I am very proud to be in the team leader position.

If you could live anywhere on earth (and money was no issue) where would you choose to live?

I have lived in two countries, have dealt with snow and cold weather and I have been very close to wonderful beaches. I will always prefer the nice warm weather with breeze and be able to go the beach. A place like Rosary Islands in Colombia.

How do you most like to spend your free time?

I love to be with my two daughters, go camping and be near the water.

What was the last book you read?

The Art of Changing the Brain by James E. Zull. A great book to help teach the students. It educates us on how the brain functions in relation to teaching and learning. As we learn how the brain works we would have a better understanding in how to enrich the practice of teaching. Thereby promoting a more flexible and varied approach to learning and teaching.

Who are your heroes in real life?

My Parents. They have been dedicated to their five children, making sure that values and moral standards are part of our life so we could be outstanding members of society.

What natural gift would you most like to possess?

I would like to be able to clone so I can be in many different places at once.

What is your motto?

Be honest, be responsible and do the very best I can

Anything else youd like to share?

Lets CATCH the WAVE and work as a TEAM!