suspected herpetic lesions, candidiasis, leukoplakic lesions that rub off, erythematous lesions (Persistent erythematous lesions should be biopsied.)
- Using a pencil, label the frosted end of a microscope slide with the patient’s name.
- Remove cells from the oral mucosa with a Cytobrush or tongue blade and spread them evenly on the microscope slide.
- Repeat procedure on a second microscope slide.
- Spray the slides lightly with a fixative. (Aquanet hairspray works well.)
- Submit both slides to the pathologist with a provisional diagnosis.