Periodontal & Implant Dentistry Internship/Fellowship
Available to U.S. and Foreign Dental Graduates
The Department of Periodontology offers advanced education courses for general practitioners and specialists interested in expanding their knowledge in the fields of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry. The experience is tailored to the desires of the intern with experiences in clinical periodontology, clinical implant dentistry, clinical or basic research and didactic periodontology and implant dentistry courses. These courses are designed to give the intern/fellow an experience in clinical periodontology and implant dentistry that will better equip them to pursue residency in Periodontics. The intern can assist in the faculty’s intramural practice and graduate clinic. In addition, the intern may attend departmentally offered courses and clinical case conferences that the periodontal residents take. We also offer the intern an opportunity to work on a basic or clinical research project during the course. The research may be presented at the International Association of Dental Research meeting and could also be published in the periodontal or implant literature.
This course is for one calendar year. Tuition is remitted in four (4) equal installments of $7,750.00 (for a total of $31,000/year). Upon completion of the Internship, a certificate of attendance and twelve hundred (1200) continuing education units (CEUs) is awarded.
Completion of the Continuing Education Internship Program is an educational goal in itself, and in no way insures acceptance to a Postgraduate Residency Program. Although many resources will be provided by the selected Department, this is a Continuing Education program and is not listed on the University of Florida Registrar’s records.
- Actively participate in a research project with the goal being an abstract for a national meeting and future presentation.
- Assist in treatment of patients in the University of Florida Dental Clinic.
- Participate in the Department of Periodontology core curriculum.
- Attend the Department of Periodontology case conferences.
- Attend selected Department of Periodontology seminars and journal clubs.
Intern/Fellow Benefit Fact Sheet
All UF Department of Periodontics Dentistry faculty will be participating in the program.
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
1200 contact hours. Lecture/Participation
|M-F, 8am – 5pm (excluding University holidays)|
* January 31st is the application deadline but positions can be filled prior to that date.
Notice to all applicants: Acceptance into any program is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Send internship application materials to:
Department of Periodontology
Mail: PO Box 100434
Gainesville FL, 32610-0434
Applicants must complete the formal application and submit it with the following documentation:
- Application (online [coming soon] or print [288 KB])
- Two letters of recommendation
- A curriculum vitae
- Scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination. The minimum acceptable score on this exam is 550 for paper or 80 for computer.
Upon acceptance by a department into their program, the following fees and documentation will be required: $345.00 non-refundable processing fee.
- Provide official copies of dental school transcript (& official certified translation if in your native language) AND scores from the National Board Dental Examinations, Parts I and II (if applicable.)
- GRE scores are not necessary for this program, but are preferred as an aid in applicant selection
- Provide a copy of current active dental license.
- Non US residents requiring a visa must provide a Certificate for Financial Responsibility form (Instructions) demonstrating sufficient funds to support the cost of fees and living expenses. Currently, this amount for the visitor alone is approximately US $71,000 per year. If accepted into the program, further documentation for issuance of your I-20 form for your F-1 Visa is required.
View all UF Advanced Education CE offerings