Fabricating Provisional Crowns & Bridges: Certification Course
This course is approved for the certification of dental auxiliaries to perform the expanded functions-cementing temporary crowns & bridges with temporary cement and fabricating temporary crowns and bridges intraorally. Florida Statutes, Section 466.024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005.
Prerequisite and Limit
This program is designed to enhance the skills of trained dental assistants. It is not suitable for office staff who do not have dental assisting experience. The participant must have completed “The Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliary: Certification Course.”
Enrollment is limited to 20 participants.
This two-day course is designed so that, on completion, the participant has the theoretical knowledge and practical experience necessary to fabricate a variety of provisional restorations. The first day consists of making single unit provisional crowns on prepared teeth and implant abutments. The second day consists of making anterior and posterior provisional bridges using the direct and indirect techniques. The participants use conventional acrylic resin and the new BIS Acryl composite resins using pre-formed polycarbonate and aluminum shell crowns and custom acrylic temporaries using different matrices. Cementation and removal of provisional restorations are also covered. This course is presented in a slide/lecture format with laboratory exercises following each presentation.
At the completion of the course, participants are trained in the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to be certified to fabricate provisionals in teeth and implant abutments.
*** Participants will need to supply specific instruments/materials.
Download: fabricating-instrument-list.pdf [67 KB]
- Luisa F. Echeto, D.D.S., M.S. Faculty website
Clinical Associate Professor, Director, Division of Prosthodontics, Restorative Dental Sciences Department
- Maria Aguilar, D.D.S., M.S.D., M.Sc. Faculty website
Professor, Restorative Dental Sciences Department
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
14 contact hours. Participation.
- 20 participants
Continuing Dental Education at UFCD expresses appreciation to Dentsply and Straumann for unrestricted educational grants that helped make this course possible.
Trilogy of Certification Courses for Dental
Florida does not license dental assistants and there is no examination requirement. However, prior to the performance of expanded duties as defined by rule of the board, the dental assistant must possess formal training. This certification training falls into three categories:
- 1. Expanded Functions
- - Formal training which is required for certification in order to legally perform certain remediable tasks. Rules 64B5- 16.005 and 16.006, Florida Administrative Code, defines remediable tasks (expanded functions) delegable to dental hygienists and dental assistants and the level of supervision required.
- 2. Radiography
- - Radiography certification is obtained through the Department of Health by submitting documentation of successful completion of a board-approved certification course; after completing three months of on-the-job training through assisting in the positioning and exposing of dental radiographic film under the direct supervision of a Florida licensed dentist. Department of Health application and fee is required, in addition.
- 3. Fabricating Provisional Crowns and Bridges
- - Advanced training for certification of additional expanded functions beyond those covered in the Expanded Functions course. Per Florida Statutes, Section 466-024(6) and Board of Dentistry Rule 64B5-16.005, this course is approved for the certification of dental auxiliaries to legally perform the expanded functions of cementing temporary crowns and bridges with temporary cement and fabricating temporary crowns and bridges intra-orally.
|Participant||Regular Fee||Early Bird Fee|
|(Expires 1 month before course date)|
|Saturday-Sunday, February 15-16, 2014||Gainesville||140400||Register Online|