Academy of Alumni & Friends Dental Fall Weekend: Biopsy Techniques – The good, the bad and the ugly
This course will focus on the common oral soft tissue biopsy techniques including terminology, tissue fixation, pitfalls, etc. The discussion will be concentrated on the do’s and don’t’s of biopsies and special emphasis will be paid to biopsy of specific entities such as cancers, ulcers, autoimmune diseases, etc. An evidence based discussion along with advantages and disadvantages of newer oral cancer detection devices such as Vizilite, OralCDx, VelScope, etc will be presented. The topics should be of interest to dental professionals who refer or perform their own biopsies.
- Recognize the different techniques and terminologies of oral soft tissue biopsy along with tissue processing, fixatives and submission protocol of tissues.
- Discuss biopsy techniques for some of these conditions.
- Oral cancer and precancerous lesions
- Oral ulcers
- Autoimmune diseases
- Interpret specific diagnostic tests and understand the mechanism and advantages and disadvantages of newer diagnostic devices such as Vizilite, Velscope, etc.
- Dr. Neel Bhattacharyya Faculty Website
UF College of Dentistry
1395 Center Drive
Gainesville, FL 32610
Continuing Education Units
2 contact hours. Lecture.
|Dates||Course #||AGD #|
|November 9, 2013 (Saturday)||140451||730|