Center for Dental Biomaterials
Senior Lab Technician
My effort on the ceramics optimization research includes thermal, mechanical and optical properties. Investigating stress states within dental all-ceramics, as well as in porcelain fused to metal composites is the primary focus for NIH/NIDCR grant sponsored research of Dr. K.J. Anusavice. We have been characterizing viable ranges of thermal compatibility for ceramic combinations and more recently, analyzing resulting residual stresses. It is not sufficient to simply compare thermal contraction coefficients for reliable, ceramic combinations as evidenced in recent years with our use of bi-layered geometric models that mimic bridges for compatibility testing. I am presently working with combinations of indentation techniques and FEA to evaluate residual stresses within dental ceramic restorative materials, incorporating fractography and fractal dimension to further the research.
Teaching color science principles and improving color vision acuity for individual dental observer groups (up to 80 dentists, dental students and other dental personnel) continues as an outcome of Dr. Anusavice’s NIH/NIDCR Center Grant research. Using the UFCD pre-clinical simulation lab, instructional and testing exercises are performed individually with deliberately developed objective exercises using dental materials to assess and to improve individuals’ dental visual shade matching and color discrimination ability.
- Della Bona A, Mecholsky JJ , Barrett AA, Griggs JA (2008). Characterization of glass-infiltrated alumina-based ceramics, Dent Mater. PMID: 18692231
- DeHoff PH, Barrett AA, Lee R B, Anusavice KJ (2008). Thermal compatibility of dental ceramic systems using cylindrical and spherical geometries, Dent Mater 24(6): 744-752. PMID:17949805
- Della Bona A, Donassollo TA, Demarco F F, Barrett AA, Mecholsky JJ (2007). Characterization and surface treatment effects on topography of a glass-infiltrated alumina/zirconia-reinforced ceramic, Dent Mater 23 (6):769-775.
- Autio-Gold JT, Barrett AA (2004). Effect of fluoride varnishes on color stability of esthetic restorative materials, Oper Dent 29(6):636-41.
- Patel SB, Gordan VV, Barrett AA, Shen C (2004). Effect of surface finishing and storage solution on color stability of composites, J Am Dent Assoc 135 (5), 587-594.
- Gordan VV, Patel SB, Barrett AA, Shen C (2003). Effect of surface finishing and storage media on bi-axial flexure strength and microhardness of resin-based composite, Oper Dent 28(5): 560-7.
- Barrett AA, Grimaudo NJ, Anusavice KJ, Yang MK (2002). Influence of tab and disk design on shade matching of dental porcelain, J Prosthet Dent 88 (6):591-7.