Find an Associate: Associate Matching
The College of Dentistry’s associate matching program serves as a network to put D.M.D. senior students and practicing general dentists in contact. Since the program’s inception in 1987, some 700 dentists in the state of Florida have used this service.
Approximately eighty students graduate in May each year. The Florida State Dental Board Exam is offered in June. Graduates who pass will receive their license two to three weeks following the Board. Forty to fifty of the graduating students enter private general practices in Florida as an associate. The remaining members of the class enter specialty residency programs, the military or general practice residencies.
The associate matching program lists graduating students and provides information such as their preferred practice locations. You are encouraged to contact our students directly using their listed contact information.
Students want to know the following information so please indicate this information in your documentation or discussion:
- Your Practice Configuration – location, building, number of operatories, how long you have been in practice.
- Your Treatment and Patient Mix – the type of treatment you provide and types of patients you have in your practice. Your level of participation in contract dental programs, dental insurance and fee-for-service dentistry.
- Your staff – the number of staff and their function within your office and years of experience in your office.
- Your practice background – How long you have been in practice, where you went to dental school, and something about your personal and professional experiences.
- The opportunity you are offering or would like to discuss with the student; e.g., a simple employee position, some type of ownership, and the timing of that transition. If you are interested in selling a practice some professional evaluation of the practice should be available for the prospective buyer to review. In general it takes six to twelve months to prepare for an associate, so the earlier you start the better.
The Associate Matching Program is managed by Dr. Nick J. Minden, M.Ed., M.B.A., D.M.D., Associate Professor of Restorative Dental Sciences, Divison of Operative Dentistry, who also teaches the 40-hour course in Small Business Principles and Practices for the Dental Practitioner. You can reach Dr. Minden by phoning 352-273-5849 or emailing email@example.com.