Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery: Four-year certificate or six-year M.D. & certificate program
The University of Florida Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery program, located in Gainesville, offers two programs:
- A six-year residency/M.D. program which accepts two candidates per year
- A four-year OMFS/non-M.D. degree residency program which accepts one candidate per year
The programs are fully accredited by the American Dental Association’s Council on Dental Education and follow the guidelines of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Training involves the full range and scope of the specialty, including facial trauma, orthognathic surgery, temporomandibular joint surgery, preprosthetic surgery, dental implants, facial aesthetic surgery, reconstructive surgery, microneurosurgery, head and neck oncology and craniofacial surgery. These are highly competitive programs receiving many applicants each year.
Please note: Only United States citizens and permanent residents can apply to this program. Additionally, applicants must have completed an American Dental Association (ADA) accredited dental school program.
- Department website
- Financial aid information
- Conditions of Enrollment
- Program Description (Six-Year)
- Program Description (Four-Year)
1. Apply to PASS
All program applicants must apply through PASS (Postdoctoral Application Support Service), which is sponsored by the American Association of Dental Schools (www.adea.org). PASS is an application clearinghouse that provides uniform information to participating programs while relieving applicants of the burden of completing multiple individual applications. The PASS website opens for application in late spring/early summer. Participation in the PASS program is mandatory. We advise applicants to apply as early as possible.
You must apply to PASS by the deadline specified in the PASS materials to insure we receive your PASS application by our September 16th deadline.
For an application and instructions, visit the PASS website or contact:
1400 K Street NW, Suite 1100B
Washington, DC 20035-2403
Additional documentation to forward to PASS:
- A Dean’s evaluation with National Boards Part I and II scores.
- Two professional (faculty) evaluations including Oral Surgery Chair and OMS
- Personal essay
- Dental school transcripts
- Match Code
Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program
Applicants must also apply to the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program. Your participation in this service is mandatory. You must obtain the Applicant Agreement form and materials describing this program from:
2. Send the following materials to:
Dr. Pamela Sandow, Assistant Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid
University of Florida College of Dentistry/Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
P.O. Box 100402
Gainesville FL 32610-0402
- National Boards Part I and II scores
Scores must be reported directly to UF. Request your scores from:
Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations
211 East Chicago Ave., #1846
Chicago, IL 60611
800-621-8099 ext 465
- NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Examination test result/scores
Examination Date: Saturday, September 21, 2013
Dental students with a numeric score on Part 1 of dental boards are not required to take the CBSE.
- Original undergraduate transcripts
Application Status Updates
- Once the admissions office receives your application, you will be notified via email of any missing documentation throughout the application cycle, and up to the application deadline.
- Once the application deadline is reached and your application is complete, we will forward your file to the program director.