AEGD-Hialeah: Two-year program for internationally-educated dentists
This 24-month certificate program in Advanced Education in General Dentistry is based in Hialeah, Florida. A class of 12 students will be admitted once yearly in early summer. Selected applicants will be invited to a 2 day interview. This program offers a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study upon successful program completion. This program is designed to provide advanced training in clinical dentistry beyond the level of pre-doctoral education. Specifically, the program is intended to enhance the resident’s confidence and competence in performing all aspects of general dentistry. The training includes experience in the recognized dental specialties. Tuition payment is required. No stipend is available.
- Department website
- Conditions of Enrollment
- Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Hialeah Admissions Check-List
Estimated tuition and fees per semester is $19,890. Fees are subject to change.
- To be eligible for admission you must be a United States citizen, or have a permanent resident visa and proof of your status. Resident visas include:
- US permanent residents with I-551.
- Eligible non-citizens with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U. S. Department of Homeland Security showing one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant.”
Students in the U. S. on an F1 or F2 student visa only, on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, or on a G-series visa (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible.
- A passing TOEFL score of 80 (Internet-Based version) or 213 (computer-based), or 550 (paper-based), www.toefl.org (the UF College of Dentistry code is 8612). TOEFL scores expire after 2 years.
- Must have successfully completed the National Board Dental Examination Part I. Visit www.ada.org. Successful completion of National Board Examination Part II is not required for admission, but must be successfully completed prior to the commencement of the second year of the AEGD program.
- You must be a graduate of an international dental school who has satisfactorily completed an academic program of not less than four years, resulting in a degree, diploma, or certificate in dentistry recognized by the appropriate civil authorities of the country in which the school is located.
1. Apply to PASS
All program applicants must apply through PASS (Postdoctoral Application Support Service), which is sponsored by the American Dental Education Association (www.adea.org). PASS is an application clearinghouse that provides uniform information to participating programs while relieving applicants of the burden of completing multiple individual applications. The PASS website opens for application in late spring/early summer. Participation in the PASS program is mandatory. We advise applicants to apply as early as possible.
Apply to PASS as early as possible to insure we receive your application by our September 16th deadline.
For an online application and instructions, visit the PASS website or contact:
1400 K Street NW, Suite 1100B
Washington, DC 20035-2403
Additional documentation to forward to PASS:
- A 300-500 word personal statement including clinical experience, personal activities, and future professional goals.
- Official transcripts from every institution of higher learning attended. Unofficial transcripts are not acceptable. Transcripts must be translated by a qualified translator and then certified in a Course by Course evaluation report, including a GPA, by ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., PO BOX 92970, Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970, 414-298-3400, www.ece.org ) or Josef Silny (Josef Silny & Associates, 7101 SW 102 Avenue, Miami, FL, 33173, 305-273-1616, http://www.jsilny.com ). Only documents certified by ECE or Josef Silny will be considered. WES Evaluations are also accepted.
2. Send the following materials to:
Dr. Pamela Sandow, Assistant Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid
University of Florida College of Dentistry/AEGD Hialeah
P.O. Box 100402
Gainesville FL 32610-0402
- National Boards Part I scores
Scores must be reported directly to UF. Request your scores from:
Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations
211 East Chicago Ave., #1846
Chicago, IL 60611
800-621-8099 ext 465
- Official TOEFL scores, www.toefl.org.
- Proof of US citizenship or copy of the front and back of your Resident Alien Visa (Green Card).
- Complete the UFCD Application and print it out.
- Official dental school transcript in native language.
- Translation of dental school transcript by approved UF translation service (Select a current member from this link: http://www.naces.org/members.htm). Translations must be sent directly to UF.
- Copy of dental school diploma in native language.
- Translation of dental school diploma by approved UF translation service (Select a current member from this link: http://www.naces.org/members.htm). Translations must be sent directly to UF.
- Original official ECE or WES course-by-course evaluation. Course by course evaluations must be reported directly to UF.
- Three letters of recommendation
3. Complete the University of Florida Application:
- Visit UF Admissions to complete your UF application online. Choose the Professional Schools option, complete the necessary forms, and pay the $30 application fee. Once you have submitted your payment, you will be given an 8-digit UFID number. Note: this is to be completed online. You do not need to make copies or mail this form to our office.
Application Status Updates
- When the admissions office receives your application, you will be notified by email of any missing documentation throughout the application cycle.
- Once the application deadline is reached and your application is complete, we will forward your file to the program director. Please contact the program director with questions on the program selection process.
- Competitive applicants will be invited to interview at the University of Florida Hialeah Dental Center.
- The interview includes an Admissions Workshop.
- The Admissions Workshop fee is $450 and is due in full on the day of the interview.