Valeria V. Gordan, D.D.S., M.S.
Department of Restorative Dental Sciences
Division of Operative Dentistry
Professor, Restorative Dental Sciences
Director, Practice-Based Research
(If you are a patient who is interested in scheduling an appointment with Dr. Gordan, please visit UFHealth.org)
National Dental Practice-Based Research Network
Room D9-6 P.O. Box 100415
Gainesville, FL 32610-0415
- MS-CI, Clinical Investigation, University of Florida, 2007
- Continuum I, Advanced Dental Education, The Pankey Institute, 2002
- Fellowship in Leadership, American Dental Education Association, 2002
- Certificate, Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa, 1997
- MS, Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa, 1997
- DDS, State University of Londrina, 1993
My research interests have been in the area of caries diagnosis and preservation of tooth structure using minimally invasive restorative techniques through translational and clinical research applications.
The National Dental Practice-based Research Network (NDPBRN) is a consortium of participating practices and organizations committed to advancing knowledge of dental practice. I have had the privilege to be associated with the NDPBRN since its inception and it has allowed me to investigate pressing issues in clinical care while offering the unique opportunity to collaborate with investigators throughout the US and abroad. Most importantly NDPBRN has made it possible to study “real-life” and evidence-based dentistry through the input of over 1,400 private practitioners. As a lead-researcher at the NDPBRN, I have been designing clinical trials including the very first study of the entire network involving diagnosis and treatment of dental caries. I have led another five NDPBRN studies, which aimed to address the decision-making processes and approaches used by practitioners in the restoration process. The long-term goal of these studies is to establish evidence-based criteria for the diagnosis and treatment of dental caries as well as to develop guidelines for caries risk assessment and preventive strategies to reduce the burden of dental caries.
As the College of Dentistry advances its collaboration with the Health Sciences Center through the Clinical and Translation Science Award (PI: David Nelson), the NDPBRN initiative augments the research efforts as it provides a wide and diverse pool of practitioners with various practice types and patients from various social economical status and demographics. Additionally, I intend to collaborate with the experience built through the NDPBRN as other Colleges from the Health Science Center further develop practice-based research.
Selected Refereed Publications
- Gordan VV, Mjör IA, Hucke RD, Smith GE (1999) Effect of Different Liner Treatments on Post-operative Sensitivity of Amalgam Restorations. Quintessence InterNational 30:55-59.
- Gordan VV, Mjör IA, Moorhead JA (1999) Amalgam Restorations: Post-operative Sensitivity as a Function of Liner Treatment and Cavity Depth. Operative Dentistry 24 (6): 377-383.
- Gordan VV (2001) Clinical Evaluation of Replacement of Class V Resin Based Composite Restorations. Journal of Dentistry 29:485-488.
- Gordan VV, Mjör IA, Vasquez O, Watson RE, Wilson N (2002) Two-year Clinical Evaluation of a New Self-etching Primer and Resin-based Restorative Material. J Esthet Restorative Dentistry 14:296-302.
- Gordan VV, Chiayi Shen, Watson RE, Mjör IA (2005) Four-year Clinical Evaluation of a New Self-etching Primer and Resin-based Restorative Material. American Journal of Dentistry 18:45-49.
- Gordan VV, Riley III J, Blaser PK, Mjör IA (2006) Two-year Clinical Evaluation of Alternative Treatments to Replacement of Defective Amalgam Restorations. Operative Dentistry 31:418-425.
- Gordan VV, Shen C, Riley III J, Mjör IA (2006) Two-year Clinical Evaluation of Alternative Treatments to Replacement of Defective Composite Restorations. Journal Esthet Restorative Dentistry 18:144-154.
- Gordan VV, Mondragon E, Watson RE, Garvan C, Mjor IA (2007) Eight-year Clinical Evaluation of a Self-etching Primer and a Giomer Restorative Material. J American Dental Association 138:621-627.
- Gordan VV, Blaser PK, et al., (2009) A Long-term Evaluation of Alternative Treatments to Replacement of Resin-based Composite Restorations: Results of a Seven-year Study. JADA 140: 1476-1484.
- Gordan VV, Heft MW, Gilbert GH, et al., (2009) How Dentists Diagnose and Treat Defective Restorations: Evidence from The Dental PBRN. Operative Dentistry 34: 664-673.
- Gordan VV, Bader JD, Garvan CW, Richman J, et al., and for The DPBRN Collaborative Group (2010) Restorative Treatment Thresholds for Primary Caries by Dental PBRN Dentists. JADA 141:171-184.
- Gordan VV, Garvan, CW, Ottenga ME, Schulte R, Harris PA, McEdward DL, Magnusson I. (2010) Could alkali production be considered an approach for caries control? Caries Res 44:547-554.
- Gilbert GH, Richman JS, Qvist V, Pihlstrom DJ, Foy PJ, Gordan VV, for the DPBRN Collaborative Group. (2010) Change in stated clinical practice associated with participation in The Dental Practice-Based Research Network. General Dentistry: Nov Dec 520-528.
- Gordan VV, Bader JD, Garvan CW, Richman J, Qvist V, et al., and for The DPBRN Collaborative Group (2010) Restorative Treatment Thresholds for Occlusal Primary Caries Among Dentists in The Dental Practice-Based Research Network. Journal of American Dental Association 141:171-184.
- Gordan VV, Riley III JL, Blaser PK, Mondragon E, Garvan CW, Mjor IA (2011) Alternative Treatments to Replacement of Defective Amalgam Restorations: Results of a 7-year Clinical Study. Journal of American Dental Association 142 (7):842-849