Sasanka Sekhar Chukkapalli, Ph.D., M.Sc.
Department of Periodontology
- Ph.D., Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research(PGIMER),Chandigarh, India, 2009
- MSc, Medical Microbiology, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal, India.
- 2011–present: Postdoctoral Associate, University of Florida
- 2009-2010: Research Officer, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
- Defining the nuances of difference between colonization and infection.
- Exploration of evasive strategies adopted by the bacterial pathogens.
- Development of early detective markers for identification of bacterial diseases.
- Delineating the mechanisms of host-pathogen interactions, regulation of virulence gene expression.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Sekhar S, Chakraborti A, Kumar R. H.influenzae colonization and its risk factors in children of less than 2 year old children of north India. Epidemiology & Infection 2009; 137(2): 156-60.
- Sekhar S, Kumar R, Chakraborti A. Role of biofilm formation in the persistent Colonization of H.influenzae in children of northern India. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2009 Nov; 58(Pt11): 1428-32.
- Sekhar S, Ohri M, Chakraborti A. Biofilms: an evolving and universal strategy of bacterial pathogens? Current research, technology and education topics in applied microbiology and microbial biotechnology. Microbiology book series. Number 2; 2010
- Sekhar S, Chakraborti A, Kumar R. “Exploration of potential candidate vaccines in H.influenzae: An interdisciplinary proteomic & Immunoinformatic approach”. Presentation in 4th International peptide symposium, Cairns, Australia.
- I. Velsko, M. Rivera, S. Chukkapalli, J-Y. Lee, H. Chen, I. Bhattacharyya, A. Lucas, and L. Kesavalu. Porphyromonas gingivalis infection-induced Oral and Systemic Changes in ApoEnull mice. AADR Annual Meeting, TAMPA, FL, March 2012.
- S. Chukkapalli, M. Rivera, I. Velsko, J-Y. Lee, H. Chen, I. Bhattacharyya, A. Lucas, and L. Kesavalu. Treponema denticola induced bacteremia, DNA detection, and atherosclerosis in ApoEnull Mice. AADR Annual Meeting, TAMPA, FL, March 2012.
- M. Rivera, J-Y Lee, S. Chukkapalli, I. Velsko, I. Bhattacharyya, L.S. Holliday, L. Kesavalu. Bis-enoxacin Inhibited Alveolar Bone Loss and Gingival Inflammation in Rats. AADR Annual Meeting, TAMPA, FL, March 2012.