Kesavalu Lakshmyya, B.V.Sc., M.Sc., S.C.C.
Department of Periodontology
PO Box 100434
Gainesville, FL 32610-0434
- B.V.Sc., Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, Madras University, 1971
- S.C.C., Advanced Statistics, Institute of Agricultural Research Statistics, New Delhi, 1975
- M.Sc., Medical Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1979
- Associate Research Professor, Department of Oral Health Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 2003-2006
- Assistant Research Professor, Department of Oral Health Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 2000-2003
- Assistant Research Professor, Department of Periodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX 1999-2000
- Association between periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease (Clinical study)
- Association between periodontal pathogens and atherosclerosis (Basic study)
- Association between periodontal pathogens and Rheumatoid arthritis (Basic study)
- Association between periodontal pathogens and Alzheimer’s disease (Basic study)
- Role of microRNA in periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease
- The link between periodontal pathogens, microRNA, and Sjogren’s syndrome
- Pathogenesis of Osteonecrosis of Jaw (ONJ).
- Periodontal pathogens invasion, proliferation, and dissemination to systemic tissues/cells.
- Periodontal pathogens (polybacterial) infection and atherosclerosis.
- Association between Periodontal disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Association between Periodontal disease and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Association between Periodontal disease and stroke.
- Periodontal disease and Osteonecrosis of Jaw.
- Role of microRNA in periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Koutouzis, T., C. Eastman, S. Chukkapalli, H. Larjava, L. Kesavalu. 2016. A Novel rat model of polymicrobial peri-implantitis. J. Periodontol. Oct 27:1-17. PMID: 27786620.
- Chukkapalli, S., M. Rivera-Kweh, P. Gehlot, I. Velsko, I. Bhattacharyya, S. J. Calise, M. Satoh, E. K. L. Chan, J. Holoshitz, and L. Kesavalu. 2016. Periodontal bacterial colonization in synovial tissues exacerbates collagen-induced arthritis in B10.RIII mice. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016 Jul 12;18(1):161. PMID: 27405639.
- Chukkapalli SS, Velsko IM, Rivera-Kweh MF, Larjava H, Lucas AR, Kesavalu L. 2016. Global TLR2 and 4 Deficiency in mice impacts Bone resorption, Inflammatory Markers and Atherosclerosis to Polymicrobial Infection. Mol Oral Microbiol. May 25. doi: 10.1111/omi.12165. PMID: 27224005.
- Sasanka S. Chukkapalli, Irina M. Velsko, Mercedes F. Rivera, Hao Chen, Dong Hong, Alexandra R. Lucas and L. Kesavalu. 2015. Polymicrobial oral infection with four periodontal bacteria orchestrates a distinct inflammatory response and atherosclerosis in ApoEnull mice. PLOS One. Nov 30:10(11):e0143291. PMID: 26619277.
- Nayar, G., AE Gauna, S. Chukkapalli, I. Velsko, L. Kesavalu, S Cha. 2015. Polymicrobial infection alters inflammatory microRNA in rat salivary glands during periodontal disease. Anaerobe. Oct 22. 38:70-75. PMID: 26481834.
- Velsko, I., S. S. Chukkapalli, M. F. Rivera, D. Zheng, A. R. Lucas, H. Larjava, Kesavalu L. 2015. Periodontal pathogens invade gingiva and aortic adventitia and elicit inflammasome activation in αvβ6 integrin-deficient mice. Infect. Immun. Dec: 83:4582-93. PMID: 26371120. ASM PRESS RELEASE.
- Poole, S., S. K. Singhrao, S. Chukkapalli, M. Rivera, I. Velsko, T. R. Hughes, B. Paul Morgan, L. Kesavalu, StJohn Crean. 2015. Active invasion of Porphyromonas gingivalis and infection-induced complement activation in ApoE-/- mice brains. J. Alzheimer’s. Dis. 43:67-80. PMID: 25061055.
- Velsko, I. M., M. F. Rivera, S. S. Chukkapalli, J-Y. Lee, H. Chen, I. Bhattacharyya, P. Gangula, A. R. Lucas, L. Kesavalu. 2014. Active invasion of oral and aortic tissues by P. gingivalis in mice casually links periodontitis and atherosclerosis. PLoS ONE. May 16;9(5):e97811. PMID: 24836175.
- Chukkapalli, S.S, M. F. Rivera, I. M. Velsko, J. Y. Lee, H. Chen, D. Zheng, I. Bhattacharyya, P. Gangula, A. R. Lucas and Kesavalu L. 2014. Invasion of oral and aortic tissues by Oral Spirochete Treponema denticola in ApoEnull mice casually links periodontal disease and Atherosclerosis. Infect Immun. May. 82:1959-67. PMID: 24566627.
- Poole, S., S. K. Singhrao, L. Kesavalu, M. A. Curtis, and StJohn Crean. 2013. Determining the presence of periodontopathic virulence factors in short-term postmortem Alzheimer’s disease brain tissue. J. Alzheimer’s. Dis. 1:36(4):665-677. PMID: 23666172. PRESS RELEASE
- Rivera, M., Ju-Youn Lee, M. Aneja, V. Goswami, L. Liu, I. Velsko, S. Chukkapalli, I. Bhattacharyya, H. Chen, A. R. Lucas, and L. Kesavalu. 2013. Polymicrobial Infection induced periodontitis and atherosclerosis in ApoE-/- mice. PLoS One. February. 8(2):e57178. PMID: 23451182.
- Nahid, M.A., B. Yao, P. R. Dominguez-Gutierrez, L. Kesavalu, M. Satoh, and E. K. L. Chan. 2013. Regulation of TLR2-mediated tolerance and cross-tolerance through IRAK4 modulation by miR-132 and miR-212. J. Immunol. February. 190:1250-63. PMID: 23264652.
- Aguirre, J. I., M. P. Akhter, D. B. Kimmel, J. E. Pingel, A. Williams, M. Jorgensen, L. Kesavalu, and T. J. Wronski. 2012. Oncologic doses of Zoledronic acid induce osteonecrosis of jaw-like lesions in rice rats (oryzomys palustris) with periodontitis. J. Bone. Min. Res. October, 27(10):2130-43. PMID: 22623376.
- Kesavalu, L.,* A. Lucas, R. K. Verma, L. Liu, E. Dai, and A. Fox. 2012. Increased atherogenesis during Streptococcus mutans OMZ175 infection in ApoEnull mice. J. Dent. Res. 91:255-260. PMID: 22262633.
- Md, A. Nahid, M. Rivera, A. Lucas, E. K. L. Chan, and L. Kesavalu. 2011. Polymicrobial infection with periodontal pathogens specifically enhances the expression of miR-146a in ApoEnull mice. Infect. Immun. April. 79:1597-1605. “SPOTLIGHT” Article of Significant Interest. PMID: 21263019.
- Bainbridge, B., R. K. Verma, C. Eastman, B. Yehia, M. Rivera, K. Mofatt, I. Bhattacharyya, R. J. Lamont and L. Kesavalu. 2010. Role of Porphyromonas gingivalis phosphoserine phosphatase enzyme SerB in infection, inflammation, immune response and induction of alveolar bone resorption in rats. Infect. Immun. 78:4560-4569. PMID: 20805334.
- Ebersole, J. L., S. Michelle, S. C. Holt, L. Kesavalu, L. Chu, and D. Cappelli. 2010. Systemic inflammatory responses in progressing periodontitis during pregnancy in a baboon model. Clin. Experimental. Immunol. 162:550-559. PMID: 21070210.
The University of Central Lancashire, Preston, United Kingdom issued a PRESS RELEASE to national media outlets of our joint seminal study published in Journal of Alzheimer’s disease.
Poole, S., S. K. Singhrao, L. Kesavalu, M. A. Curtis, and StJohn Crean. 2013. Determining the presence of periodontopathic virulence factors in short-term postmortem Alzheimer’s disease brain tissue. J. Alzheimer’s. Dis. 1:36(4):665-677. PMID: 23666172.
The University of Florida also issued a PRESS RELEASE to Associate Press and national media outlets and TV interview of our seminal study published in Journal of Alzheimer’s disease. This news was published by more than 75 organizations, websites, and newspapers in US and other countries including American Association of Dental Research (AADR) and International Association of Dental Research (IADR).
UF College of Dentistry: http://dental.ufl.edu/2013/10/03/researchers-find-potential-link-between-gum-disease-and-alzheimers/
AADR: Science Advocate October 10, 2013. http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/aadr/issues/2013-10-10/6.html
IADR: Global Research Update, October 17, 2013. http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/iadr/issues/2013-10-17/13.html
PhD graduate student abstract was selected for “PRESS COVERAGE” by American Society for Microbiology (ASM), Boston, MA, May 17-20th, 2014.
Irina M. Velsko, Sasanka S. Chukkapalli, Mercedes F. Rivera, Donghang Zheng, Alexandra R. Lucas, Hannu Larjava, Lakshmyya Kesavalu. 2014. Oral polymicrobial infection of integrin β6-/- mice demonstrates a causal association with arterial infection and inflammation. 114th General Meeting, ASM, May 17-20th, Boston, MA. Abstract # 1562.
AADR Strides in Science August 2014.
AADR Strides in Science is a monthly feature highlighting an AADR member’s accomplishments and comments on how his/her involvement with AADR has been an important part of his/her career in research.