Robert M. Caudle
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, 1988
- B.A., Humboldt State University, 1981
My research focuses on the molecular and physiological processes that initiate and maintain chronic pain. In particular, we are examining alterations in the function of the N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) class of excitatory amino acid receptor in the spinal cord and the vanilloid receptor – the protein responsible for detecting the burning sensation produced by hot chili peppers – in the periphery following persistent stimulation. The NMDA receptor performs the function of an amplifier in the spinal cord to enhance pain signals, whereas the vanilloid receptor detects pain from heat, inflammation, and chemicals throughout the body. These studies examine changes in the phosphorylation status of these two receptors and alterations in subunits and splice variants as a result of painful experiences. These studies also examine the interaction of the NMDA receptor and vanilloid receptor with endogenous neuropeptides that are released during chronic pain. The ultimate goal of our work is to develop novel strategies to avoid the induction of chronic pain and new therapies to treat chronic pain once it is established.
- Katz, J. Bhattacharyya, I., Farkhondeh-Kish, F., Perez, F.M., Caudle, R.M., Heft, M.: Expression of the receptor of advanced glycation end products in gingival tissues of type 2 diabtes pateints with chronic periodontal disease: a study utlizing immunohistochemistry and RT-PCR.J.Clin.Periodontol., 32 (2005) 40-44.
- Katz, J., Caudle, R.M., Bhattacharyya, I., Stewart, C.M., Cohen, D.M.: Receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE) upregulation in human gingival fibroblasts incubated with nornicotine. J. Periodontol, 76 (2005) 130-133.
- Rau, K.K, Caudle, R.M., Johnson, R.D. and Cooper, B.Y.: Diverse expression of opioid receptors in electrophysiologically defined cells of rat dorsal root ganglia. J. Chem. Neuroanatomy, 29(4) (2005) 255-264.
- Neubert, J.K.,Widmer, C.G., Malphurs, W., Rossi, H.L., Vierck, C.J., andCaudle, R.M.: Use of a Novel Thermal Operant Behavioral Assay for Characterization of Orofacial Pain Sensitivity, Pain, 116(3) (2005) 386-395.
- Neubert, J.K., Mannes, A.J., Keller, J., Wexel, M., Iadarola, M.J. and Caudle, R.M.: Peripheral Targeting of the Trigeminal Ganglion via the Infraorbital Foramen as a Therapeutic Strategy. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc. 15(3) (2005) 119-126.
- Mannes, A.J., Brown, D.C., Keller, J., Cordes, L., Eckenhoff, R.G., Caudle, R.M., Iadarola, M.J. and Meng, Q.C.: Measurement of Resiniferatoxin in Serum Samples by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography, J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 823(2) (2005)
- Caudle, R.M., Perez, F.M., Del Valle-Pinero, A.Y., and Iadarola, M.J.: Spinal cord NR1 serine phosphorylation and NR2B subunit suppression following peripheral inflammation, Mol Pain, 1 (2005) 25.
- Zhou, Q, Caudle, R.M., Price, D.D., Del Valle-Pinero, A.Y., and Verne, G.N.: Selective up-regulation of NMDA-NR1 receptor expression in myenteric plexus after TNBS induced colitis in rats.Mol Pain, 2(1) (2006) 3.
- Caudle, R.M.: Memory in astrocytes: a hypothesis,
Theor Biol Med Model. 3 (2006) 2.
- Neubert, J.K., Rossi, H.L., Malphurs, W., Vierck, C.J., Caudle, R.M.: Differentiation between capsaicin-induced allodynia and hyperalgesia using a thermal operant assay. Behavioural Brain Research 170(2) (2006) 308-315.
- Zhou, Q, Caudle, R.M., Moshiree, B., Price D.D., and Verne, G.N.: Phosphorylation of NMDA NR1 subunits in the myenteric plexus during TNBS induced colitis. Neurosci. Lett. 406(3) (2006) 250-255.
- Rossi HL, Vierck CJ Jr, Caudle RM, Neubert JK.: Characterization of cold sensitivity and thermal preference using an operant orofacial assay. Mol Pain. 2(1) (2006) 37.
- Caudle, R.M., Mannes, A.J., Benoliel, R., Eliav, E., and Iadarola, M.J.: Intrathecally administered cholera toxin blocks allodynia and hyperalgesia in persistent pain models. J. Pain. 2 (2001) 118-127.
- Olah Z, Szabo T, Karai L, Hough C, Fields RD, Caudle RM, Blumberg PM, Iadarola MJ: Ligand-induced dynamic membrane changes and cell deletion conferred by vanilloid receptor 1. J Biol Chem 276(14) (2001) 11021-11030.
- Caudle, R.M. and Mannes, A.J.: Dynorphin: Friend or Foe? Pain 87(3) (2000) 235-239.
- Benoliel R, Tanaka M, Caudle RM, Iadarola MJ: Co-localization of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and substance P (neurokinin-1) receptors in rat spinal cord. Neurosci Lett 291(2) (2000) 61-64.
- Eliav, E., Herzberg, U. and Caudle, R.M.: GR89,696 blocks hyperalgesia and allodynia in rat models of peripheral neuritis and neuropathy. Pain 79 (1999) 255-264.
- Benoliel, R., Eliav, E., Mannes, A.J., Caudle, R.M., Leeman, S. and ladarola, M.J.: Actions of intrathecal diphtheria toxin?substance P fusion protein on models of acute and chronic pain. Pain 79 (1999) 243-253.