Kathleen Neiva, D.D.S., Ph.D.
Dr. Neiva received her D.D.S. degree at Universidade do Vale do Itajai and completed her Certificate in Endodontics at Universidade Federal do Parana, both in Brazil.
In 2001 she joined the University of Michigan School of Dentistry where she performed preclinical and clinical teaching and basic science research. In 2003 Dr. Neiva joined the Oral Health Sciences Ph.D. Program at University of Michigan and her research interests included angiogenesis, molecular biology, and head and neck cancer. More specifically, she explored the crosstalk between endothelial cells and tumor cells in head and neck cancer and received her Ph.D. degree in 2009.
During her training, Dr. Neiva has received numerous awards including AADR Hatton Award, William J. Gies Award, Research Day Awards, Rackham Block Grant Awards, Keystone Symposia Scholarship, and Dr. Dominic Dziewiatkowski Award.
Currently, she is a Post Doctoral Research Fellow in the Departments of Periodontology and Oral Biology and an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Endodontics.
- Aranha AM, Zhang Z, Neiva KG, Costa CA, Hebling J, Nör JE. Hypoxia Enhances the Angiogenic Potential of Human Dental Pulp Cells. J Endod. 2010 Sep;36(9).
- Sakai VT, Zhang Z, Dong Z, Neiva KG, Machado MA, Shi S, Santos CF, Nör JE. SHED differentiate into functional odontoblasts and endothelium. J Dent Res. 2010 Aug;89(8):791-6.
- Zhang Z, Neiva KG, Lingen, MW, Ellis LM, Nör JE. VEGF-dependent tumor angiogenesis requires inverse and reciprocal regulation of VEGFR1 and VEGFR2. Cell Death Differ. 2010 Mar;17(3):499-512.
- Neiva KG, Zhang Z, Miyazawa M, Warner KA, Karl E, Nör JE. Cross talk initiated by endothelial cells enhances migration and inhibits anoikis of squamous cell carcinoma cells through STAT3/Akt/ERK signaling. Neoplasia. 2009 Jun;11(6):583-93.
- Miyazawa M, Dong Z, Zhang Z, Neiva KG, Cordeiro MM, Oliveira DT, Nör JE. Effect of PTK/ZK on the angiogenic switch in head and neck tumors. J Dent Res. 2008 Dec;87(12):1166-71.
- Warner KA, Miyazawa M, Cordeiro MM, Love WJ, Pinsky MS, Neiva KG, Spalding AC, Nör JE. Endothelial cells enhance tumor cell invasion through a crosstalk mediated by CXC chemokine signaling. Neoplasia. 2008 Feb;10(2):131-9.
- Dong Z, Neiva KG, Jin T, Zhang Z, Hall D, Mooney D, Polverini P, Nör JE. Quantification of human angiogenesis in immunodeficient mice using a photon counting-based method. Biotechniques. 2007 Jul;43(1):73-7.
- Karl E, Zhang Z, Dong Z, Neiva KG, Soengas MS, Koch AE, Polverini PJ, Núñez G, Nör JE. Unidirectional crosstalk between Bcl-xL and Bcl-2 enhances the angiogenic phenotype of endothelial cells. Cell Death Differ. 2007 Sep;14(9):1657-66.
- Neiva KG, Sun YX, Taichman RS. The role of osteoblasts in regulating hematopoietic stem cell activity and tumor metastasis. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2005 Oct;38(10):1449-54.
- Koh AJ, Demiralp B, Neiva KG, Hooten J, Nohutcu RM, Shim H, Datta NS, Taichman RG, McCauley LK. Cells of the osteoclast lineage as mediators of the anabolic actions of parathyroid hormone in bone. Endocrinology. 2005 Nov;146(11):4584-96.