Pamela Sandow, D.M.D.
Oral Medicine Division
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Financial Aid
- D.M.D. University of Florida, 1986
- Certificate AEGD, University of Florida, 1987
Dr. Sandow is the director of the UFCD Oral Medicine Clinic. Her specialty is the management of oral complications from cancer therapy; including chemotherapy, bone marrow transplantation, and head and neck radiotherapy. Some of the oral complications that can occur after cancer therapy include dry mouth, severe tooth decay, mouth sores or infections, and jaw bone necrosis. Patients may be referred to Dr. Sandow to evaluate dental needs prior to the initiation of cancer therapy, to assist general dentists in developing dental treatment plans for compromised cancer patients after therapy, or to help manage oral complications as a result of cancer therapy. These services are offered to patients and health care providers upon request to the Oral Medicine Clinic at 352-273-6740.
Books, Contributor of Chapter(s)
- Mendenhall, WM, Foote, RL, Sandow, PR, Fernandez, R (2010). Oral Cavity Cancer. In: Clinical Radiation Oncology, Third Edition, Churchill Livingstone (Elsevier), Philadelphia, PA.
- Sandow, PL (2009). Dental Prophylaxis and Care. In: Function Preservation and Quality of Life in Head and Neck Radiotherapy, Springer, New York, NY, pp.269-276.
- Hinerman, RW, Foote, RL, Sandow, PR, Mendenhall, WM (2007). Oral Cavity Cancer. In: Clinical Radiation Oncology, Second Edition, Churchill Livingstone (Elsevier), Philadelphia, PA, pp.639-672.
- Sandow, PL (2007). Pretreatment Dental Evaluation and Management of the Oral Cancer Patient. In: Oral Cancer, Theime Medical Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, pp. 72-77.
- Amdur, RJ, Sandow, PL, Mendenhall, WM, Mazzaferri EL (2005). Management of Xerostomia, Taste Impairment and Dental Prophylaxis. In: Essentials of Thyroid Cancer Management. Springer, New York, NY, pp.281-283.
- Jones, AC, Courts, FJ, Sandow, PL (1999). Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and Dental School Performance. In: The Year Book Of Dentistry 1999. Mosby, Inc., St. Louis, MO., pp. 452-454.
- Sandow, PL, Baughman, RA (1994). Dental and Oral Care for the Head and Neck Cancer Patient. In: Management of Head and Neck Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach, Second Edition. J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA, pp.185-191.
- Logan, H, Bartoshuk, L, Sandow, P, Fillingim, R, Tomar, S, Werning, J, Mendenhall, W: Smoking Status and Pain Level Among Head and Neck Cancer Patients. J Pain 11(6):528-34, 2009.
- Cianchetti M, Sandow, PS, Scarborough, LD, Morris CG, Kirwan J, Werning JW, Mendenhall, WM: Radiation therapy for minor salivary gland carcinoma. Laryngoscope 119(7):1334-8, 2009.
- Watson, J, Logan, H, Sandow, P: Factors Associated with Early-Stage Diagnosis of Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 37(4):333-41, 2009.
- Katz, J, George T, Sandow, P, Machado, M, Dickerson, L, and Moreb, J: Bisphosphonate-Induced Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: Long-Term Outcomes. J Support Oncol 7(1):9-10, 2009.
- Chang, DT, Sandow, PL, Morris, CG, Hollander, R, Scarborough, L, Amdur, RJ and Mendenhall, WM: Do Pre-irradiation dental extractions reduce the risk of osteoradionecrosis of the mandible? Head Neck 29(6):528-536, 2007.
- Sandow, PL, Hejrat-Yazdi, M, Heft, MW: Recovery of Taste Perception after Radiation Therapy. J Dent Res 85(7):608-611, 2006.
- Dumbrigue, H, Sandow, PL, Nguyen, KT, Humphreys-Beher, M: Salivary epidermal growth factor levels decrease in patients receiving radiation therapy to the head and neck. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 89:710-716, 2000.
- Stewart, CM, Jones, AC, Bates, RE, Sandow, PL, Pink, F: Comparison between saliva stimulants and a saliva substitute in patients with xerostomia and hyposalivation. J Spec Care Dentist 18:142-148, 1998.
- Sandow, P, Yeung, A, Morris, C, Chang, D, Mendenhall, W. Is there a decrease in the incidence of mandibular osteoradionecrosis with IMRT? Radiother Oncol 90(2):69, 2009.
- Stein, L*, Sandow, P, Brooks, L, Philip, R*, Baccaglini, L. Who is Caring for Head and Neck Radiation Therapy Patients? J Dent Res 88(Spec Iss A):2234, 2009.
- Watson, JM, Tomar, SL, Sposetti, VJ, Sandow, P, Gibbs, M. Dental Students’ Confidence Regarding Tobacco Interventions and Oral Cancer Exams. J Dent Res 88(Spec Iss A):2483, 2009.
- Logan, H, Sandow, P, Tomar, SL. Psychosocial and smoking patterns among head and neck cancer patients. J Dent Res 88(Spec Iss A):138, 2009.
- Katz, J, George, T, Sandow, P, Machado, M, Khan, T, Gillis, S, Dickerson, L, Mazzarella, J, Moreb, J. Bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BONJ) in cancer patients. J Dent Res 87(Spec Iss B):2774, 2008.
- Apana, A*, Logan, H, Sandow, P, Werning, J, Tomar, SL, Mendenhall, W. Screening and Risk Factors for Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Patients. J Dent Res 87(Spec Iss A):0701, 2008.
- Strange, L*, Sandow, P, Chang, D, and Riley, J. Incidence of Osteoradionecrosis with concurrent oral bisphosphonate therapy. J Dent Res 87(Spec Iss A):0479, 2008.
- Sandow, P, Philip, R*, Chang, D., Baccaglini, L, Mitchell, G: Survey of Radiation Oncologists’ Knowledge Level and Practice Patterns for Prevention of Dental Complications. Oral Oncol 2(1):145, 2007.
- Philip, R*, Sandow, P, Chang, D, Baccaglini, L, Mitchell, G: Cancer Patient Recommendations and Communication among Radiation Oncologists and Dentists. J Dent Res 86(Spec Iss B): 2395, 2007.
- Chang, D, Sandow, P, Morris, C, Hollander, R*, Amdur, R, Mendenhall, W: Do Pre-radiation Dental Extractions Reduce the Risk of Osteoradionecrosis of the Mandible? Oncol 20(5):25-26, 2006.
- Sandow, P, Chang, D, Morris, C, Hollander, R*, Mendenhall,W M: Osteoradionecrosis following Definitive Head and Neck Radiotherapy: An Evaluation of Risk Factors. Support Care Cancer 13(6): 454, 2005.
- Sandow, P, Hollander, R*, Katz, J, Heft, M: Oropharyngeal Candidiasis in High-dose Head and Neck Radiotherapy Patients. J Dent Res 84(Spec Iss A): 3622, 2005.
- Schaefer, J*, Sandow, P, Goodwin, W, Tomar, S: Missed Opportunities for Earlier Diagnosis of Head and Neck Cancers. J Dent Res 84(Spec Iss A): 3221, 2005.
- Sandow P, Hejrat-Yazdi, M*, Heft, M, Katz, J.: The Effects of Radiation Therapy on Taste and Smell Function. J Dent Res 83(Spec Iss B): 2535, 2004.
- Jafarnia, B*, Sandow, PL, Heft, MW: The effects of head and neck radiation on taste and smell. J Dent Res 78:184, 1999.
- Sandow, PL, Baughman, R: Asymptomatic radiographic changes in the head and neck radiation patient. Support Care Cancer 7(3): 167,1999.
- Stewart, C, Jones, A, Bates, R, Sandow, P, Pink, F: Comparison between saliva stimulants and a substitute in xerostomia patients. J Dent Res 74; 703, 1995.
- Jones, AC, Pink, FE, Sandow, PL, Baughman, RA, Migliorati, C A, Stewart, C.: The Cytobrush Plus cell collector in oral cytology. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 74(5): 609,1992.
- Oral Care of Cancer Patients, Seventh Edition, an American Cancer Society publication (professional education booklet), distributed and recognized nationally, written by Dr. Jerome P. Rothstein with contributions by Dr. Ronald A. Baughman and Dr. Pamela L. Sandow.