Nadim M. Islam, D.D.S., B.D.S.
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Diagnostic Sciences
Clinical Professor, Division of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology
Residency Program and Internship Director
Director, Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology Laboratory & Biopsy Service
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred communication)
- D.D.S. from Indiana University in 2010
- Certificate in Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology, University of Florida in 2007
- B.D.S. from Calcutta University, India in 1989
Dr. Islam completed his oral pathology training at the University of Florida College of Dentistry (Gainesville), Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology in 2007. There he held a dual appointment as a research fellow in the departments of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology and in Craniofacial Pain & Temporomandibular Dysfunction Management prior to accepting his position at Indiana University School of Dentistry (IUSD). He received his initial dental degree from the Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital at the University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India in 1989. After receiving his dental degree he practiced general dentistry in several locations throughout India and served for four years as a general dentist with the Ministry of Health, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He started at IUSD in 2007 and worked as an assistant professor and director of the Oral Pathology Biopsy Service & Laboratory (2010) until 2012. He received his United States dental degree from the Indiana University School of Dentistry in 2010. He joined the UF College of Dentistry in August 2012 as a clinical associate professor of oral & maxillofacial pathology.
Dr. Islam is a member of the American Dental Education Association & American Dental Association; a Fellow, by examination, of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology; and a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. He was the chair of the oral pathology section of the ADEA as well as a consultant of oral and maxillofacial pathology to CODA. He frequently gives lectures to his peers from associated specialties in the field of dentistry.
Dr. Islam is the residency program and internship director, as well as the laboratory director for oral and maxillofacial pathology, and is actively involved in a multi-state oral pathology biopsy service accessing over 11,500 cases including 550 DIF cases annually. He has authored or co-authored more than 40 peer reviewed articles in both dental and medical literature, over 60 national and international presentations and several book chapters. Islam has presented and lectured extensively nationally as well as internationally at UAE, Saudi Arabia, India, Canada and recently at Brazil. Scholarly interests include tobacco associated oral precancerous lesions, as well as various mucocutaneous conditions of autoimmune origin. He has a special interest in Chronic Ulcerative Stomatitis and has made a major contribution to the literature on this entity. Dr. Islam is especially interested in diagnostic surgical and clinical oral pathology and dental education.
- Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN, Yoon TYH, Green JG , Ohja J, Liu JJ, Cohen DM. Lip hypertrophy secondary to cyclosporine treatment:a rare adverse effect and treatment considerations. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006;102:469-74.
- Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Proper S, Glanz S, Vega J, Hassanein AM. Melanocytic Matricoma: A distinctive clinicopathological entity. Dermatol Surg 2007;33:857-63.
- Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Ojha J, Bober K, Green J, Cohen D. Hemifacial hypertrophy – Comparison between true and partial hemifacial hypertrophy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104:501-9.
- Islam MN, Solanki VS, Ojha J, Stewart CM, Cohen DM, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Chronic ulcerative stomatitis: A Diagnostic Challenge – Review of Literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104:194-203.
- Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Ojha J, Cohen DM. Rhino-cerebral zygomycosis – an increasingly frequent challenge: update and surprising outcomes in two cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104:28-34.
- Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN, Akers J, Akers JO, Cohen DM. Intraoral cellular blue nevus, Review of literature and Case Report. Cutis.2007;80:189-92.
- Yoon TYH, Bhattacharyya I, Katz J, Towle HJ, Islam MN.Squamous cell carcinoma of the gingiva: a clinicopathologic report. Quintissence International. 2007;38:97-102.
- Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN, Manhart S, Cohen DM. Intraosseous pleomorphic adenoma of the mandible: report of a case and review of literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104:21-6.
- Ojha J, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Stewart CM, Cha S, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Gingival involvement in Crohn’s disease. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007;138:1574-81.
- Islam MN, Kanter KG, Cohen DM, Stewart C, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia mimicking multiple periapical pathology – an endodontic dilemma . General Dentistry. 2008;56:559-62
- Stewart CM, Bhattacharyya I, Kathleen B, Cohen DM, Orlando C, Drew P, Islam MN, Ojha J, Reeves W Labial Salivary Gland Biopsies in Sjögren’s Syndrome: Still the Gold Standard?. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106:392-402.
- Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN, Cohen DM, Stewart CM, Katz J. Xerostomia and Lichenoid Reaction in a Hepatitis C Patient Treated With Interferon-Alpha – Case Report. Quintissence In. 2008;39;343-48.
- Ojha J, Islam MN, Cohen DM, Marshal D, Reavis MR, Bhattacharyya I. Postransplant lymphoproliferative disorders of oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105:589-96.
- Laga AC, Tajirian AL,Islam MN, Bhattacharya I, Cohen DM, Plamondon CJ, Bostom LR. Myopericytoma: Report of two cases associated with trauma. J Cutan Pathol 2008;35:866-70.
- Ojha J, Islam MN, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Colloid Milium of the oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105:34-8.
- Shumway BS, Islam MN, Kapoor R, Huang AK, Arnold FW. Clinico-Pathologic Conference: Case 3. Head Neck Pathol. 2009 ;3:286-9. Epub 2009 Oct 31.
- Islam MN, Cohen DM, Waite M, Bhattacharyya I.Three cases of subpontic osseous hyperplasia of the mandible. A report. Quintissence In. 2010; 41:299-302
- Islam MN, Kornberg L, Veenker E,Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I.Anatomic site based ploidy analysis of oral premalignant lesions. Head Neck Pathol. 2010;4:10-4. Epub 2009 Nov 24.
- Islam MN, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Folliculosebaceous cystic hamartoma of the upper lip and labial mucosa. Quintissence In. 2011;42:e75-7.
- Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Common oral manifestations of systemic disease. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2011;44:161-82, vi.
- Islam NM, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Salivary gland pathology in HIV patients, Diagnostic Histopathology 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mpdhp.2012.08.001
- Woods TR, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Kratochvil FJ, Stewart JCB, Reeder SL, Bhattacharyya I. Intraoral Basal Cell Carcinoma, A Rare Neoplasm: Report of Three New Cases With Literature Review. Head and Neck Pathol. 2014 Sep;8(3):339-48. doi: 10.1007/s12105-013-0505-5. Epub 2013 Nov 8.
- Lindsay J. Montague, Sarah G. Fitzpatrick, Islam MN, Donald M. Cohen, Indraneel Bhattacharyya. Extensively ossifying oral leiomyoma- a rare histologic finding.
- Head and Neck Pathology. 2014 Sep;8(3):311-6. doi: 10.1007/s12105-013-0497-1.
- Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN, Chehal HK, Reith JD, Islam S, Fernandes R, McNally SJ, Cohen DM. Unusually large and aggressive traumatic bone cysts of the jaws- A series of five cases. Oral Surg 2014 Dec, 7: 40–47. doi: 10.1111/ors.12099.
- Katz J, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Sandow P, Moreb JS. Oral squamous cell carcinoma positive for papilloma virus in post allogeneic stem cell transplantation: 2 cases and review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2014 Sep;118(3):e74-8. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2014.05.025. Epub 2014 Jun 13.
- Montague LJ, Islam MN, Young S, Islam S, Broumand V, Bhattacharyya I, Gigantiform cementoma of the mandible- case report and literature review. Oral Surgery Article first published online: 3 Dec 2014. doi: 10.1111/ors.12136
- Hardeep K. Chehal, Stuart J. McNally, Donald M. Cohen, Nadim M. Islam, Indraneel Bhattacharyya. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the oral cavity: a rare epithelial malignancy. a report of two cases and review of literature. J Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology. January 2015, 27: 126–130.
- Newman A, Montague LJ, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Report of Two cases of Combined Odontogenic Tumors: Ameloblastoma with Odontogenic Keratocyst, and Ameloblastic Fibroma with Calcifying Odontogenic Cyst. Head and Neck Pathol 2015 Sep;9(3):417-20. doi: 10.1007/s12105-014-0601-1.
- Woods TR, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Rawal Y, Bhattacharyya I. Desmoplastic Fibroma of the Mandible: Three Case Reports and Review of Literature. Head Neck Pathol. 2015 Jun; 9(2):196-204. doi: 10.1007/s12105-014-0561-5
- Montague LM, Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN, Cohen DM, Fitzpatrick SG. Positive direct immunofluorescence testing results in cases of premalignant and malignant oral lesions. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015 Jun;119(6):675-83. doi: 10.1016/ j.oooo. 2015.02.478. Epub 2015 Mar 2.
- Chehal, MN. Islam, S. Islam, I. Bhattacharyya. Extensive Multifocal Minocycline Associated Oral and Cutaneous pigmentations. Journal of International Medical Sciences Academy. Volume 27, July- Sept, 2015 Issue
- Smith MH, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Fitzpatrick S, Montague L, Damm D, Fowler C. Melanoma of the oral cavity: an analysis of 46 new cases with emphasis on clinical and histopathologic characteristics. Head and Neck Pathol. 2016 Sep;10(3):298-305. doi: 10.1007/s12105-016-0693-x. Epub 2016 Jan 11.
- Hakeem A, Sarah GF, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM, Islam MN. Clinical characterization and treatment outcome of burning mouth syndrome patients in a large oral medicine clinic. Quintissence In (In Press)
- Alqahtani M, Bhattacharyya I, Woods TR, Smith MH, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Fitzpatrick SG. Medication use and systemic conditions in a retrospective study of 155 cases of biopsy proven oral lichen planus and oral lichenoid mucositis. Quintissence In (In Press)
- TR Woods, SG Fitzpatrick, DM Cohen, MN Islam, I Bhattacharyya. Clear cell changes in salivary gland neoplasms: a 20-year retrospective study. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2017 May 1;22(3):e276-e281.
- Smith MH, Reith JD, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Sibille KT, Bhattacharyya I. An update on myofibromas and myofibromatosis affecting the oral regions with report of 24 new cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2017 Jul;124(1):62-75. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2017.03.051. Epub 2017 Apr 5.
- Smith MH, Atherton D, Reith JD, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Rhabdomyosarcoma, spindle cell/sclerosing variant: a clinical and histopathological examination of this rare variant with three new cases from the oral cavity. Head and Neck Pathol 2017 May 2. doi: 10.1007/s12105-017-0818-x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Upadhyaya J, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Firm, dome-shaped mass of lower lip. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2017 Mar 1. pii: S2212-4403(17)30087-1. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2017.02.009. [Epub ahead of print]
- Medication use and systemic conditions in a retrospective study of 155 cases of biopsy proven oral lichenoid lesions. General Dentistry (In Press)
- Smith MH, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM, SG Fitzpatrick. STAT6 reliably distinguishes solitary fibrous tumors from myofibromas. Head and Neck Pathol (In Press)
- Upadhyaya J, Pfundheller D, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I. Papillon-Lefèvre Syndrome: A series of three cases in the same family and literature review. Quintessence International (In Press)
- Smith MH, Cohen DM, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN. Segmental odontomaxillary dysplasia: an under-recognized entity: report of three new cases. JADA (InPress)
- Upadhyaya J, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I. Hybrid Central Odontogenic Fibroma with Giant Cell Granuloma like lesion: A Report on Three Additional Cases and Review of the Literature. Head and Neck Pathol (In Press)