Madhu K. Nair D.M.D., M.S., Lic. Odont., Ph.D.
Oral & Maxillofacial Diagnostic Sciences
- Ph.D. Göteborg University, Sweden
- Licentiate of Odontology (Radiology), Göteborg University, Sweden
- M.S. (OMF Radiology) University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
- D.M.D. University of Pittsburgh
- B.D.S. University of Kerala India
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Fellowship trained in Medical Radiology Informatics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Fellow, American College of Dentists
- Director and tenured Assoc. Prof., Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dental Medicine, Univ. of Pittsburgh
- Assoc. Prof., Radiology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
- Fellow, Radiology Informatics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (program offered only to MDs)
Biosketch and Research Interests
Dr. Nair holds memberships in numerous organizations such as the Radiological Society of North America, Society for Computer Applications in Radiology, American Dental Association, the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, The International Association of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology and the International Association for Dental Research.
His research interests include: 3D imaging, image processing/analyses, radiology informatics, teleradiology, Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography, digital radiography, local CT, tissue engineering, computed aided diagnostic techniques.
He has lectured and published extensively. He is also involved in the development of a syllabus for a national Medical Radiology Informatics Fellowship program. He has served as chair of numerous national level committees, and special emphasis panels of the NIH. He has also won mentorship awards for research. He currently serves on the ADA DICOM Working Group 22 and SCDI WG 12.1, in addition to chairing the Council on Communications for the AAOMR.
- Nair MK. Diagnostic Accuracy of Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography ( TACT). Swed Dent J (Suppl) 2003; 159. ISBN: 91-628-5654-5.
- Nair MK, Nair UP, Gröndahl H-G, Webber RL. Effect of iterative restoration on the detection of artificially induced vertical radicular fractures using Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Path Oral Radiol Endod 2003; 96:118-25.
- Nair MK, Nair UP, Gröndahl H-G, Wallace JA. Accuracy of tuned aperture computed tomography in the diagnosis of radicular fractures in non-restored maxillary anterior teeth-an in vitro study. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2002; 31:299-304.
- Nair MK, Nair UP. Imaging of mandibular fractures: ROC Analyses. Acad Emerg Med 2001; 8: 689-695.
- Nair MK, Seyedain A, Agarwal S, Webber RL, Nair UP, Piesco NP, Mooney MP, Gröndahl H-G,. Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography to evaluate osseous healing. J Dent Res. 2001; 80: 1620-1624.
- Nair MK, Seyedain A, Webber RL, Nair UP, Piesco NP, Mooney MP, Agarwal S, Gröndahl H-G. Fractal Analyses of Osseous Healing Using Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography (TACT) Images. Eur Radiol. 2001;11:1510-5.
- Nair MK, Ludlow JB, May KN, Nair UP, Johnson MP, Close JM. Diagnostic accuracy of intraoral film and direct digital images for detection of simulated recurrent decay. Oper Dent. 2001; 26:223-30.
- Nair MK, Nair UP, Gröndahl H-G, Webber RL, Wallace JA. Detection of artificially induced vertical radicular fractures using tuned aperture computed tomography. Eur J Oral Sci 2001: 109; 375-379.
- Nair MK, Nair UP. An in-vitro evaluation of Kodak Insight and Ektaspeed Plus film with a CMOS detector for natural proximal caries: ROC analysis. Caries Res 2001; 35: 354-358.
- Nair MK, Webber RL, Johnson MP. Comparative evaluation of Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography for the detection of mandibular fractures. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2000; 29:297-301.
- Wallace J, Nair MK, Colaco M, Kapa SF.A comparative evaluation of the diagnostic efficacy of film and digital sensors for detection of simulated periapical lesions. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2001; 92: 93-7.
- Nair MK, Burkes EJ, Chai-U-Dom O. Radiographic manifestation of clear cell odontogenic tumor. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000; 89: 250-254.
- Nair MK, Tyndall DA, Ludlow JB, May K. Tuned aperture computed tomography and recurrent caries detection. Caries Res 1998; 32:23-30.
- Nair MK, Ludlow JB, Tyndall DA, Platin E. Periodontitis detection efficacy of film and digital images. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Rad Endod 1998; 85:608-12.
- Nair MK, Tyndall DA, Ludlow JB, May K, Ye F. The effects of restorative material and lesion location on recurrent caries detection using Ektaspeed Plus film, direct digital radiography and tuned aperture computed tomography (TACT). Dentomaxillofac Radiol 1998 Mar: 80-84.
- Tyndall DA, Ludlow JB, Platin E, Nair M. A Comparison of Kodak Ektaspeed Plus film and the Siemens Sidexis Digital Imaging System for Caries Detection Using ROC Analysis. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology and Endodontics.1998;85:113-8.
- Nair MK, Purushothaman UD, Anil S : Guided Tissue Regeneration – a new approach in periodontal therapy. J. Ind Soc of Periodont 1994-3; 55-57.
- Anil S, Philip T, Nair MK, Beena VT, Vijayakumar T. Radiation Caries – a rational approach towards its prevention and management. J Ind Dent Assoc. 1993; 64(1):9-12.