Indraneel Bhattacharyya, D.M.D., M.S.
- D.D.S.: University of Nebraska, 1997
- D.D.S.: Indiana University, 1995
- B.D.S.: Calcutta University India, 1989
Dr. Indraneel (Neel) Bhattacharyya has been at the University of Florida since 2003. He obtained his B.D.S. degree from the University of Calcutta in 1989. He completed his oral and maxillofacial pathology training and received a master’s degree from the Indiana University School of Dentistry in 1995. He received his D.D.S. from the University of Nebraska College of Dentistry. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. He is currently a tenured associate professor and director of the Oral Pathology Residency Program at the University of Florida College of Dentistry. He has won numerous teaching awards throughout his career including two at the University of Florida. He has served as a Councilor and on the Fellowship Examination Committee for the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. He is actively involved in a large clinical oral pathology practice and biopsy service. He has authored or co-authored more than 80 papers and book chapters covering a diverse range of topics addressing both clinical and microscopic aspects of oral and maxillofacial pathology and his research interests. He is also actively involved in several NIH and industry funded research projects studying polymicrobial periodontal disease and its relationship to atherosclerosis, bisphosphonate induced osteonecrosis of jaws, molecular and clinical aspects of precancerous and cancerous oral lesions, and Sjogren’s syndrome. He regularly contributes to the very popular FDA Today Diagnostic Discussion. Dr. Bhattacharyya is a sought after speaker and has lectured extensively in the U.S. and abroad at various regional, national and international meetings and conferences.
1. Woods TR, Cohen DM, Islam MN, Kratochvil FJ, Stewart JCB, Reeder SL, Bhattacharyya I. Intraoral Basal Cell Carcinoma, A Rare Neoplasm: Report of Three New Cases With Literature Review. Head and Neck Pathol (Accepted for publication)
2. Montague LJ, Fitzpatrick SG, Islam MN, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Extensively Ossified Oral Leiomyoma- A rare histologic finding. Head and Neck Pathol (Accepted for publication)
3. Bhattacharyya I, Chehal HK, Islam MN, Cohen DM. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the oral cavity: a rare epithelial malignancy. A report of two cases and review of literature. J Oral Surgery, Medicine and Pathology. (accepted for publication)
4. Toro E, Zuo J, La Rosa R, Guiterrez A, Gawron A, Bradaschia-Correa V, Arana-Chavez V, Rivera M, Kesavalu L, Dolce C, Bhattacharyya I, Neubert J, Holiday L. Bis-Enoxacin inhibits Bone Resorption and Orthodontic Tooth Movement. J Dent Res. 2013 Aug 19 (E Pub ahead of print)
5. Katz J, Bhattacharyya I, Moreb J. Lichenoid mucocutaneous syndrome following the treatment of follicular non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma with fludarabine. J Cancer Res & Ther. [Accepted for publication].
6. Fitzpatrick SG, Neuman A, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Papillary variant of squamous cell carcinoma arising on the gingiva: 61 cases reported from within a larger series of gingival squamous cell carcinoma. Head and Pathol. 2013 Apr 26 (Epub ahead of print)
7. Chehal HK, Mitchell MW, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Angiosarcoma of the mandible: a case report and review of literature. Oral Surgery (E pub ahead of print): 3/22/13 Epub
8. Bhattacharyya I, Kramer JM. Clinical pathologic conference case 5: Unusual severe glossitis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013 May;115(5):e46-9.
9. Rivera MF, Lee JY, Aneja M, Goswami V, Liu L, Velsko I, Chukkapalli S, Bhattacharyya I, Chen H, Lucas A, Kesavalu L. Polymicrobial infection with major periodontal pathogens induced periodontal disease and aortic atherosclerosis in hyperlipidemic ApoEnull Mice. PLoS One. 2013;8(2): e57178. Epub 2013 Feb 25.
10. Fitzpatrick SG , Montague LJ , Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. CD44 Expression in Intraoral Salivary Ductal Papillomas and Oral Papillary Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Head and Pathol 2013 Jun;7(2):122-8.
11. Bowers LM , Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Pettigrew JC, Stavropoulos MF. The Non-ossifying Fibroma: A case report and review of the literature. Head and Neck Pathol 2013 Jun;7(2):203-10.
12. Rossi HL, Jenkins AC, Kaufman J, Bhattacharyya I, Caudle RM, Neubert JK. Characterization of bilateral trigeminal constriction injury using an operant facial pain assay. Neuroscience, 2012 Nov 8;224:294-306.
13. Islam MN, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Salivary Gland Pathology in HIV patients. Diagnostic Histopathology. 2012, Sept; 18: 9; 366–372.
14. Fitzpatrick SG , Neuman AN , Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. The clinical and histologic presentation of gingival squamous cell carcinoma: a study of 519 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol, 2012 Oct;114(4):509-15.
15. Fitzpatrick SG , Bowers LM , Al-Quran SZ, Fox EG, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. ALK negative anaplastic large cell lymphoma of the oral cavity showing spontaneous regression. J of Hematologic Malignancies. June 2012, 2:2; 49-56.
16. Bowers LM , Cohen DM, Fetner A, Bhattacharyya I. The peripheral adenomatoid odontogenic tumour: a case report. Oral Surg; 5:1, Feb 2012, 45–48.
17. Magliocca KR , Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Multiple Impacted Teeth and Associated Pericoronal Tissue Abnormality in Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. J Oral Max Surg 2012 Nov;70(11):2581-4.
18. Cha S, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Katz J. Ligneous gingivitis associated with plasminogen deficiency: A challenge in diagnosis. J of Invest and Clin Dent 2:3, 207–211, August 2011.
19. Magliocca KR , Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Melanotic neuroectodermal tumor of infancy. J Pediatr Dermatol 29: 633–636, Nov 8, 2011.
20. Dashti H , Reith JR, Lewis E, Schlott BJ, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Bizarre Parosteal Osteochondromatous Proliferation (Nora’s Lesion) of the Mandible. A Rare Bony Lesion- Case Report. Head and Pathol 2012 Jun; 6(2):264-9. Epub 2011 Nov 18.
21. Bakthavatchalu V, Meka A, Mans J, Sabapathi S, Lopez C, Bhattacharyya I, Boyce B, Baker H, Lamont R, Ebersole J, Kesavalu L. Polymicrobial periodontal pathogens transcriptomes in calvarial bone and soft tissue. Mol Oral Microbiol 2011 Oct;26(5):303-20. Epub 2011 Jul 19.
22. Magliocca KR , Marx, RE, Stone I, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Malignant Cystic Teratoid lesion of the Mandible. J Oral Max Surg. 2012 Mar;70(3):636-42. Epub 2011 Aug 10.
23. Fitzpatrick SG , Stavropoulos MF, Bowers LM , Neuman AN , Hinkson DW, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaws in osteoporosis of the jaws in osteoporosis patients treated with yearly zoledronic acid infusions with a history of oral bisphosphonate use: A report of 3 cases. J Oral Max Surg 2012 Feb;70(2):325-30. Epub 2011 Jul 1.
24. Katz J, Onate M, Pauley KM, Bhattacharyya I, Cha S. Expression of P. gingivalis in the gingival epithelium of squamous cell carcinoma. Int J of Oral Sci. 2011 Oct; 3(4):209-15.
25. Magliocca KR , Lewis EL, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM, Dixon LR. Labial Salivary Gland Biopsy in the Investigation of Neonatal Hemochromatosis. J Oral Max Surg 2011 Oct; 69(10): 2592-4.
26. Magliocca KR , Ricalde P, Vincek V, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Bronchogenic Cyst With an Intra- and Extraoral Component. J Oral Max Surg. 2011 Oct; 69 (10):2604-7.
27. Islam MN, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Folliculosebaceous cystic hamartoma of the upper lip and labial mucosa. Quintessence Intl, 2011 Jun;42(6):e75-7.
28. Kuklani R , Bhattacharyya I, Nair MK. Radiometric analysis of periapical lesions with and without actinomyces- A pilot study. Quintessence Intl 2011 Apr;42(4):301-6.
29. Fitzpatrick S , Dashti H , Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Alveolar ridge mass with multifocal intraosseous radiolucencies. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2011 Apr;142(4):411-4.
30. Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Common oral manifestations of systemic disease. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2011 Feb;44(1):161-82.
31. Bhattacharyya I, Chehal HK. White Lesions of the Oral Cavity. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2011 Feb;44(1):109.
32. Kuklani R, Supancic SJ, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Improperly formed teeth- A diagnostic and treatment challenge. J Amer Dent Assoc. 2010 Nov;141(11):1346-50.
33. Bainbridge B, Verma RK, Eastman C, Yehia B, Rivera M, Moffatt C, Bhattacharyya I, Lamont RJ, Kesavalu L. Role of Porphyromonas gingivalis phosphoserine phosphatase enzyme SerB in inflammation, immune response and induction of alveolar bone resorption in rats. Infect Immun 2010 Nov;78(11):4560-9.
34. Bakthavatchalu V, Meka A, Sathishkumar S, Lopez MC, Bhattacharyya I, Boyce BF, Mans JJ, Lamont RJ, Baker HV, Ebersole JL, Kesavalu L. Tannerella forsythia infection-induced calvarial bone and soft tissue transcriptional profiles. Mol Oral Microbiol; 26 (2010) 1–11.
35. Bhattacharyya I, Chehal H , Gremillion H, Nair M. Gout of the temporomandibular joint: a case report and review of literature. J Amer Dent Assoc 2010;141;979-985.
36. Katz J, Jakymiw A, Ducksworth MK, Stewart CM, Bhattacharyya I, Cha S, Chan EKL. CIP2A expression and localization in oral carcinoma and dysplasia. Cancer Biol Ther;10:7, 1-5; Oct, 2010.
37. Bakthavatchalu V, Meka A, Sathishkumar S, Lopez MC, Verma RK, Wallet SM, Bhattacharyya I, Boyce BF, Mans J, Lamont RJ, Baker HV, Ebersole JL, Kesavalu L. Molecular characterization of Treponema denticola infection-induced bone and soft tissue transcriptional profiles. Mol Oral Microbiol . 2010 Aug;25(4):260-74.
38. Verma RK, Rajapakse S, Meka A, Hamrick C, Pola S, Bhattacharyya I, Nair M, Wallet SM, Aukhil I, Kesavalu L. Porphyromonas gingivalis and Treponema denticola mixed microbial infection in a rat model of periodontal disease. Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis. 2010; 605125. Epub 2010 May 31.
39. Bhattacharyya I, Chehal HK , Cohen DM, Al-Quran SZ. Primary diffuse large B cell lymphoma of the oral cavity: germinal center classification. Head and Neck Pathol 2010 Sep;4(3):181-91. Epub 2010 Jun 9.
40. Verma RK, Bhattacharyya I, Sevilla A, Lieberman I, Pola S, Nair MK, Wallet SM, Aukhil I, Kesavalu L. Virulence of major periodontal pathogens and lack of humoral immune protection in a rat model of periodontal disease. Oral Dis. 2010 Oct;16(7):686-695.
41. Jakymiw A, Patel RS, Deming N, Bhattacharyya I, Shah P, Lamont RJ, Stewart CM, Cohen DM, Chan EK. Overexpression of dicer as a result of reduced let-7 MicroRNA levels contributes to increased cell proliferation of oral cancer cells. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2010 Jun;49(6):549-59.
42. Islam MN, Cohen DM, Ojha J, Waite M, Katz J, Stewart CM, Bhattacharyya I. Three cases of subpontic osseous hyperplasia of the mandible. A report. Quintessence Intl. 2010 Apr;41(4):299-302.
43. Islam MN, Kornberg L, Veenker E, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Anatomic site based ploidy analysis for oral premalignant lesions. Head and Neck Pathol 2010 Mar;4(1):10-4.
44. Meka A, Bakthavatchalu V, Sathishkumar S, Verma R, Bhattacharyya I, Lopez CM, Yao Z, Xing L, Boyce BF, Handfield M, Lamont R, Baker HV, Ebersole JL, Kesavalu L. Porphyromonas gingivalis infection-induced tissue and bone transcriptional profiles. Mol Oral Microbiol. 2010 Feb;25(1):61-74.
45. Kuklani R , Glavin F, Bhattacharyya I. Malignant cylindroma of the scalp arising in a setting of multiple cylindromatosis – a case report. Head and Neck Pathol. 2009 Dec; 3:315–319.
46. Chehal HK , Pate DH, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Dental erosion associated with excessive wine consumption. Gen Dent. 2009; 57(5): 519-23.
47. Chehal HK , Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. AAOMP Case Challenge. Multiple red plaques with severe burning and soreness of the tongue. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2009;1;10(3):96-100.
48. Barr KL, Chhatwal HK , Wesson SK, Bhattacharyya I, Vincek V. Pyoderma Gangrenosum masquerading as necrotizing fasciitis. Am J Otolaryngol. 2009; 30(4):273-6
49. Magliocca KR , Stavropoulous F, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. A Compounded Diagnosis: Maxillary Osteochemonecrosis in the Setting of Low Dose Radiotherapy. J Oral Max Surg 2009;67(5):1138-40.
50. Soares F, Bhattacharyya I, Bimstein E, Shaddox L. Gingival Overgrowth in an Arthrogryposis Child Treated with Er,Cr:YSGG Laser: A Case Report. Pediatric Dent 2009;31(1):8-13.
51. Chhatwal HK , Barr KL, Bhattacharyya I, Seagle BM, Vincek V. A newborn born with a large, rubbery, and non-tender mass on the left side of nose. J Pediatr Dermatol. 2008;25(5):557-8.
52. Laga AC, Tajirian AL, Islam MN , Bhattacharya I, Cohen DM, Plamondon CJ, Robinson-Bostom L. Myopericytoma: Report of Two Cases with Unusual Clinical Presentation. J Cutan Pathol 2008;35(9): 866-70.
53. Stewart CM, Bhattacharyya I, Berg K, Cohen, DM, Drew P, Orlando C, Islam MN , Ojha J . Labial Salivary Gland Biopsies in Sjögren’s Syndrome: Still the Gold Standard? Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106(3):392-402
54. Islam MN , Cohen DM, Kanter KG, Stewart CM, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia mimicking multiple periapical pathology—An endodontic dilemma. Gen Dent 2008; 56 (6): 559-562.
55. Crabtree M, Pillegi R, Bhattacharyya I, Katz J. RAGE mRNA expression and its correlation with NF-kß mRNA expression in inflamed human periradicular tissues. J Endod. 2008;34(6):689-92.
56. Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen, DM, Islam MN. Colloid milium of the oral cavity – a rare presentation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2008;105(4):e34-8.
57. Ojha J, Cohen DM, Katz J, Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I. Postransplant lymphoproliferative disorders of oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105(5):589-96.
58. Stewart C, Cha S, Bhattacharyya I, Berg K, Reeves W. Salivary gland dysfunction and quality of life in Sjögren’s syndrome : A critical oral-systemic connection. JADA, 2008; 139(3):291-9.
59. Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Katz J, Cohen DM, Stewart C. Xerostomia and lichenoid reaction in a Hepatitis C patient treated with interferon-alpha – A Case Report. Quintessence Int. 2008;39:343–348.
60. Ojha J , Cohen DM, Islam MN , Stewart CM, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Gingival involvement in Crohn’s disease. JADA. 2007;138(12):1574-81
61. Islam MN , Cohen DM, Ojha J , Claudio R, Celestina LJ, Bhattacharyya I. Rhino-cerebral zygomycosis – an increasingly frequent challenge; update and favorable outcomes in two cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104(5):e28-34.
62. Islam MN, Bhattacharyya I, Ojha J , Cohen DM, Stewart CM, Katz J. Chronic ulcerative stomatitis: diagnostic and management challenges – four new cases and review of literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104(2):194-203
63. Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Stewart C, Katz J. Cicatricial pemphigoid with severe gingival and laryngeal involvement in an 18-year-old female. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 104(3):363-7.
64. Ojha J , Akers JL, Akers JO, Hassanein AM, Islam MN , Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Intraoral cellular blue nevus: report of an unique histopathologic entity with review of the literature. Cutis. 2007; 80(3):189-92.
65. Islam MN , Bhattacharyya I, Ojha J , Bober K, Cohen DM, Green JG. Comparison between true and partial hemifacial hypertrophy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104(4):501-9.
66. Stewart C, Cohen D, Bhattacharyya I, Scheitler L, Riley S, Calamia K, Migliorati C, Baughman R, Langford P, and Katz J. Oral Manifestations of Wegener’s Granulomatosis: Report of Three New Cases and Review. JADA 2007:138(3):338-48.
67. Chumbler NR, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Sweitzer J, Dolan TA. University of Florida College of Dentistry’s ‘Case of the Month’: A Web-based Continuing Dental Education Course for Clinical Oral Pathology. J Dent Educ. 2007;71(2):260-68.
68. Ojha J , Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN , Manhart S, Cohen DM. Intraosseous pleomorphic adenoma: A case report and review of literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007 Aug;104(2):e21-26.
69. Islam MN , Bhattacharyya I, Proper SA, Glanz SM, Vega JM, Hassanein AM. Melanocytic Matricoma: A Distinctive Clinicopathological Entity. Dermatologic Surg. 2007;33(7):857-63.
70. Yoon TYH , Bhattacharyya I, Katz J, Towle HJ, Islam MN . Squamous cell carcinoma of the gingiva presenting as localized periodontal disease. Quintessence Intl. 2007;38(2):97-102.
71. Erbay SK, Stewart CM, Hassanein A, Fletcher A, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM, Wesson SK, Weinstein J, Lyons R, Reeves WH. Cutaneous mastocytosis in a patient with primary Sjögren’s syndrome. J Rheumatol. 2006;33(8):1697-700.
72. Bhattacharyya I, Islam MN , Yoon TYH , Green JG, Ohja J , Liu JJ , Cohen DM. Lip hypertrophy secondary to cyclosporine treatment: a rare adverse effect and treatment considerations. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006;102:469-74.
73. Bhattacharyya I, Summerlin DJ, Cohen DM, Bavitz JB, Ellis GE, Gillham LL. Granular cell leiomyoma of the oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006;102(3):353-9.
74. LeCorn DW , Bhattacharyya I, Vertucci FJ. Peripheral Ameloblastoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Endodon 2006;32(2):152-4.
75. Katz J, Caudle RM, Bhattacharyya I, Stewart CM, Cohen DM. Receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE) upregulation in human gingival fibroblasts incubated with nor-nicotine. J Periodontol, 2005;76:130-133.
76. Katz J, Bhattacharyya I, Farkhondeh-Kish F, Perez FM, Caudle RM, Heft MW. Expression of the Receptor of Advanced Glycation End products (RAGE) in gingival tissues of type 2 diabetes patients with chronic periodontal disease: A study utilizing Immunohistochemistry and PCR – RT. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32(1):40-4.
77. Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Ameloblastic Fibroma, Ameloblastic Fibro-odontoma, Odontoma. Oral & Maxillofacial Surg Clin N Am, 2004;16(3): 375-384.
78. Katz J, Stavropoulos F, Bhattacharyya I, Stewart C, Perez FM, Caudle RM. Receptor of advanced glycation end product (RAGE) expression in the minor salivary gland tissue of patients with Sjogren’s syndrome. A preliminary study. Scand J Rheumatol, 2004;33(3): 174-178.
79. Banerjee AG, Bhattacharyya I, Lydiatt WM, Vishwanatha JK. Aberrant expression of mutated decorin in human oral dysplasia and squamous cell carcinoma. J of Cancer Res, 2003, 63(22):7769-76.
80. Banerjee AG, Bhattacharyya I, Vishwanatha JK. Identification of genes and molecular pathways involved in the progression of premalignant oral epithelia. Mol Cancer Therapeutics. 2002;4(6):865-75.
81. Thylin MR, McConnell JC, Schmid MJ, Reckling RR, Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Reinhardt RA. Effect of statins in murine calvarial bone. J Periodontol, 2002;73:1141-1148
82. Svirsky JA, Burns JC, Carpenter WM, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Fantasia JE, Lederman DA, Lynch DP, Scuibba JJ, Zunt SL. Comparison of Computer-Assisted Brush Biopsy Results with Follow Up Scalpel Biopsy and Histology: Analysis of Data from Eight Oral Pathology Laboratories. Gen Dent, 2002, 50:6, 500-3.
83. Crump TB, Wimmer KL, Reinhardt AL, Schmid MJ, Meyer CR, Robinson DH, Marx DB, Bhattacharyya I, Reinhardt RA. Effects of locally-delivered human macrophage products and estrogen on murine inflammatory bone resorption. J Perio Res, 2002, 37: 101-109.
84. Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Case Report: Cinnamon‑induced oral erythema multiforme-like sensitivity reaction. JADA, 2000, 131:929-934.
85. Scubba JJ, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. (With the US Collaborative Oral CDx Study group). Improving detection of precancerous and cancerous oral lesions. Computer-assisted analysis of the oral brush biopsy. JADA, 1999,130:1445-57.
86. Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Lydiatt W. First report of recalcitrant oral ulcers caused by calcium channel blockers, Diltiazem and Verapamil, with diagnosis and treatment considerations. JADA, 1999, 130:1611-18.
87. Bhattacharyya I, Williamson A, Cohen DM, Bever J. Metastatic neuroblastoma with ganglioneuromatous differentiation and mandibular involvement. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol, 1999, 88(5):586-592.
88. Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I, Zunt SL, Tomich CE. Linear IgA disease masquerading clinically and histologically as lichen planus. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol, 1999, 88:196-201.