Faculty Development Committee
|Full-time Faculty appointed by the Dean||TBA||2017|
|Full-time Clinical Assistant Professor elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Maria Aguilar||2016|
|Full-time Tenured Professor elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Roger Fillingim||2017|
|Full-time Tenured Professor elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Valeria Gordan||2017|
|Full-time Clinical Associate Professor or above elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Nadim M. Islam||2017|
|Full-time Clinical Associate Professor or above elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Luciana Shaddox||2015|
|Full-time Clinical Assistant Professor elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Theo Koutouzis||2015|
|Full-time Tenured Associate Professor elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Henry “Mac” Young||2015|
|Full-time Clinical Associate Professor or above elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Virginia Dodd||2015|
|Full-time Tenured Associate Professor or above elected by Faculty Assembly||Dr. Kevin McHugh||2015|
|Ex officio: Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs||Dr. Clay Walker|
|Ex officio: Director of Curriculum and Instruction||Ms. Gail Childs*|
|Support staff||Ms. Sheila Altizer|
*Added by the Chair for 2012-2013
The committee consists of two tenured full professors, two tenured associate professors, three associate or full clinical professors, one assistant tenure-track professor and one assistant clinical track professor elected by the Assembly. The dean appoints one faculty member from any rank to serve as a member. Committee members will serve staggered three-year terms. The Director of Curriculum and Instruction will serve as an ex officio member. The Committee elects the chairperson for a two-year term and a vice chairperson, for a one-year term, from among the committee members. The vice chairperson does not automatically become chairperson upon completion of the chairperson’s term but may be elected as chair if there are still two years remaining in his/her term. Administrative support is provided by the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs who serves as an ex-officio member.
Standing Committee Charge
As stated in the Constitution and Bylaws, it is the responsibility of the committee to monitor and identify needs related to faculty professional career development including, but not limited to: teaching, research and patient care. In response to identified needs for faculty development, the committee develops strategies for the creation, implementation and assessment of programs to successfully address those issues. The committee works closely with the Offices of Faculty Affairs, Education, Clinical Affairs and Research to carry out its charge.
Additional Charge from the Dean for 2013–2014
This year I am asking the Faculty Development Committee to specifically address the following:
- Develop mechanisms for implementing the mentoring of junior faculty appointed on the clinical track. Emphasis should be placed on the current guidelines for the mentoring of clinical faculty. Are these guidelines working? If not, why not? What can be done? How is this tracked by department and college?
- Develop a listing of qualified mentors for both clinical and tenure-accruing junior faculty. This list should be provided to the college’s HR office and made available to all new faculty hires.
- Investigate the needs of clinical track faculty, determine what needs are being met and what are not.
- In conjunction with Human Resources within the College, develop and identify a process for welcoming new faculty and develop a checklist of topics and training to be included that identifies the person or office who is responsible for each step.
- Identify, institute and evaluate faculty development initiatives for the fall and spring open weeks as well as the potential for development at various times throughout the year.
- Address the issues of faculty career progression after promotion to associate professor or professor in both the tenure and clinical tracks. Emphasis here needs to be placed on senior associate professors who are not making progress toward promotion.
- Provide advice and information to the Office of Faculty Affairs on faculty development issues.
- Develop a simple survey to allow faculty to bring to your committee’s attention issues of concern and items that are working well.
This year, each standing faculty committee will be charged with reviewing relevant outcome measures from the new college strategic plan. The measures which should be reviewed by the Faculty Development Committee include:
- Annual turnover rate for faculty/analysis of reasons for leaving
- Annual demographic profile (number, percent) of faculty in terms of age, race/ethnicity, gender and rank.
- Number and percentage of new women and under-represented minority salaried faculty hired each fiscal year by race/ethnicity, gender and rank.
- Estimated number of women and URM in faculty applicant pools.
- Number of FEO’s and sabbatical leaves applied for and completed.
The committee should evaluate performance on these measures and when appropriate, action plans for improvement should be instituted using the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) cycle. The PDCA is the college’s model for outcomes assessment and evaluation.
Individual Faculty Member Responsibilities
Members of this committee are expected to attend a monthly meeting of the full committee lasting 1-2 hours. Additionally, members may be asked to assist with subgroup or project work at the chairperson’s discretion.
Estimated time commitment: 2-4 hours per month.
Schedule of Meetings
The Faculty Development Committee meets from 8:30–9:30 a.m. unless otherwise noted.
|June 23, 2014
|May 26, 2014||meeting canceled due to Memorial Day Holiday conflict|
|April 28, 2014||A Faculty Retreat was held
in lieu of the monthly meeting. No minutes were recorded.
|March 24, 2014
|February 24, 2014
|January 27, 2014||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|December 16, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|November 18, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|October 28, 2013||D4-16||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 16, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|August 19, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|July 15, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|June 24, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|May 20, 2013||meeting canceled|
|April 22, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|March 25, 2013||D4-16||View||View||View|
|February 25, 2013||D4-16||View||View||N/A|
|January 10, 2013||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|December 13, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|November 8, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|October 11, 2012||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|September 13, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|August 9, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|July 12, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|June 21, 2012||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|May 10, 2012||meeting canceled|
|April 12, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|March 8, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|February 9, 2012||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|January 12, 2012||D5-10||View||View||View|
|December 8, 2011||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|November 10, 2011||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|October 13, 2011||D5-10||View||View||View|
|September 15, 2011||D5-10||View||View||View|
|August 11, 2011||D5-10||View||View||View|
|July 14, 2011||D5-10||View||View||View|
|June 16, 2011||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|May 12, 2011||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|April 14, 2011||D5-10||View||View||View|
|March 24, 2011||D5-10||View||View||View|
|February 10, 2011||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|January 13, 2011||D5-10||N/A||View||View|
|December 9, 2010||D5-10||N/A||View||N/A|
|November 18, 2010||meeting canceled|
|October 14, 2010||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|September 9, 2010||D5-10||View||View||View|
|August 12, 2010||D10-11||View||View||View|
|July 8, 2010||D10-11||View||View||View|
|June 10, 2010||D5-10||View||View||View|
|May 13, 2010||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|April 8, 2010||D5-10||View||View||View|
|March 11, 2010||meeting canceled|
|February 11, 2010||D5-10||View||View||View|
|January 14, 2010||D5-10||View||View||View|
|December 10, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|November 30, 2009||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|October 8, 2009||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|September 10, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|August 13, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|July 9, 2009||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|June 11, 2009||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|May 14, 2009||D5-10||View||View||N/A|
|April 9, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|March 12, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|February 24, 2009||D5-10||N/A||View||N/A|
|February 12, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|January 15, 2009||D5-10||View||View||View|
|December 11, 2008||D5-10||View||View||View|
|November 19, 2008||D5-10||N/A||View||N/A|
|November 13, 2008||D5-10||View||View||View|
|October 9, 2008||D5-10||View||View||View|
|September 11, 2008||D5-10||View||View||View|
|July 29, 2008||D5-10||View||View||View